Pros/Cons of Octagon handles?

Hey folks,
The one thing I haven't tried out yet is an octagon handle. So I'm curious what the Pros/Cons are of them. Are they more comfortable to swing? Are they lighter? Or is it just a different look for your axe?

Just curious as I'm debating whether to try one on a cruiser head. This cruiser will be a user so I'm wanting to have a comfortable handle for it.

So what's your likes and dislikes of them?

Thanks for your input

Last edited:
I am not aware of any benefit other than how it feels in your hand. Both rounded and octagonal shaped handles feel great in my hand if they are properly slimmed down. I just happen to prefer the octagonal shape a little better in hand, something about the sharp angles just works for me. I say go for it, you can always order up a rounded one at the same time, shouldn't cost you anymore in shipping.

For the most part it's just personal preference. I think there's some small advantage in how the orientation of the axe registers in your brain. If that last blow caused the axe to twist ever so slightly in your grip you will feel it right away and make the proper adjustment. So I think it improves accuracy by a small amount. Also, the corners make pressure points that can improve your grip. But this can also be a drawback as it's more likely to raise blisters on the un-calloused hand.

I agree with Bull Mtn. that proper slimming is more important. I also think that an abrupt swell is an important thing. Think of a baseball bat. That knobs is there for a reason - nobody wants that bat to come flying out of their hand. But who wants an axe to fly out of their hand? Ever see a bat where the knob gently tapers into the handle over 6-8 inches? No? Then why would anyone want an axe like that?

For the most part it's just personal preference. I think there's some small advantage in how the orientation of the axe registers in your brain. If that last blow caused the axe to twist ever so slightly in your grip you will feel it right away and make the proper adjustment. So I think it improves accuracy by a small amount. Also, the corners make pressure points that can improve your grip. But this can also be a drawback as it's more likely to raise blisters on the un-calloused hand.

I agree with Bull Mtn. that proper slimming is more important. I also think that an abrupt swell is an important thing. Think of a baseball bat. That knobs is there for a reason - nobody wants that bat to come flying out of their hand. But who wants an axe to fly out of their hand? Ever see a bat where the knob gently tapers into the handle over 6-8 inches? No? Then why would anyone want an axe like that?

I agree with Pegs and Bull. I feel that the extra little bit of tactile feedback you get in regards to orientation is more pronounced in felling than chopping a horizontal piece of wood.

On the other hand, I can't stand an abrupt palm swell because after a good long while chopping it creates hot spots on side of my palm and pinky finger. To me it is totally different than a baseball bat because of exponentially more repetitions and the fact that a full size axe weighs much more than a bat therefore creating more centrifugal force to jam my fingers together.

Not sure if it makes much difference to me. Its all good as long as it fits. Thats the thing with handles made today, they don't fit me. If I order a handle say from House and I order a octagon it looks like they just run a round handle through a shaper. So they are smaller than a round handle. They remove alot of wood for ya. It costs an extra buck. If I didn't like the octagon I could nock the corners off with a rasp or file and be back to round in no time and it still would not be to small for me.

Not sure if it makes much difference to me. Its all good as long as it fits. Thats the thing with handles made today, they don't fit me. If I order a handle say from House and I order a octagon it looks like they just run a round handle through a shaper. So they are smaller than a round handle. They remove alot of wood for ya. It costs an extra buck. If I didn't like the octagon I could nock the corners off with a rasp or file and be back to round in no time and it still would not be to small for me.

Only ever had one octagon handle loved it for the reasons above but mostly because it was thin. I have big hands and you all know what that means? thin handles are better.
Less work is needed to hold onto the handle and more control if it is wide and thin.

On the other hand, I can't stand an abrupt palm swell because after a good long while chopping it creates hot spots on side of my palm and pinky finger. To me it is totally different than a baseball bat because of exponentially more repetitions and the fact that a full size axe weighs much more than a bat therefore creating more centrifugal force to jam my fingers together.

Totally valid points. I don't mean to say that an axe's knob should be as abrupt as a bat's knob but I like having a positive stop down at the end of an axe handle. Size and shape of that knob are up to the user. As my hand has gotten older I'm preferring it to be more abrupt. YMMV

We are also very lucky to have a vendor in house handles that will still produce an octagon handle. They are the only source I am aware of at this time, does anyone know if there are other vendors out there providing octagonal shaped handles?

Totally valid points. I don't mean to say that an axe's knob should be as abrupt as a bat's knob but I like having a positive stop down at the end of an axe handle. Size and shape of that knob are up to the user. As my hand has gotten older I'm preferring it to be more abrupt. YMMV

I just looked back at the handle you worked over for your rafter. It's definitely more abrupt than average, but it doesn't look uncomfortable either. How has the shape been in use for you?

We are also very lucky to have a vendor in house handles that will still produce an octagon handle. They are the only source I am aware of at this time, does anyone know if there are other vendors out there providing octagonal shaped handles?

I know this store below usually has them. Their inventory comes and goes as they don't make them but they get different lengths and styles quite often. I think Tennessee Hickory is their supplier but I'm not 100% on that.

http://jhollywoodco.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17&zenid=dc67f2a2715aa1b35e46fe83b6f30031

Also on a side note I checked a hardware store and found a cruiser handle that was pretty decent so I got it. I'm glad cause I would much rather get to inspect a handle before purchase.

Thanks for the input fellas. I'll definitely try one at some point for sure.

I just looked back at the handle you worked over for your rafter. It's definitely more abrupt than average, but it doesn't look uncomfortable either. How has the shape been in use for you?

It's been awesome. I have the same shape on my pulaski. I let one of our trail crew leaders use it a few weeks back and he thought is was the best feeling, best cutting pulaksi he'd ever used. Re: the Plumb rafter. No complaints. No hot spots. But then it's been cold out so I've been wearing gloves.

Back