Photos Prototype Utility Shears

If using pre-orders alone to fund the production, a total of 200x. We do plan on diverting some other funds towards it, though!

They go through corrugated cardboard like it's copy paper. Since I use 'em for everything, whenever I'm in a situation where I'm forced to resort to common household scissors with the plastic handles and stamped blades it throws me for a loop. :p

They go through corrugated cardboard like it's copy paper. Since I use 'em for everything, whenever I'm in a situation where I'm forced to resort to common household scissors with the plastic handles and stamped blades it throws me for a loop. :p
Order placed, how do we keep informed about progress?

TBH I am a little apprehensive on the timing for this one depending on getting sooo many preorders to get it off the ground... That said... I just pre-ordered mine :D

Shall I assume you are IMMEDIATELY taking the $$s or just putting the info on hold until you get to the 200 order total. I would like to pre-order but wonder about the chance of this falling through or you holding on to the $$s for months.

Either way, I'm likely to sign up :D but just asking about the process.

Ray

As noted, that's just the number needed if we were exclusively funding it with preorders. We'll be diverting some of the proceeds from the soon-to-arrive Kingfisher machetes towards it. We're anxious to get them going as soon as possible! We're just not setting a firm date 'cause doing that would mean either setting folks up for disappointment if we miss the target, or would require waiting longer to actually make them available in order to have nearly the full funding already on hand. Doing it this way gives us the fastest route to the end results. :)

Shall I assume you are IMMEDIATELY taking the $$s or just putting the info on hold until you get to the 200 order total. I would like to pre-order but wonder about the chance of this falling through or you holding on to the $$s for months.

Either way, I'm likely to sign up :D but just asking about the process.

Ray

We charge immediately, but there's zero chance of it falling through. This just speeds up the process. That being said, if the possibility of it taking several months bothers you, I'd say just wait until they're funded and pick some up then. It'll be a 500x unit run, so there'll be plenty of 'em. But the more people pre-order, the sooner we can get them done and cut everyone's wait time. :)

Impossible, I'm afraid. Even if the handle was ambidextrous then the blades can only be right-handed or left-handed in orientation. However, if these do well, it's possible we could eventually have some done in left-handed configuration, though they'd have to have a standard-sized lower ring rather than the oversized one that this model has.

Just out of curiosity why would left handed shears need a smaller standard size lower ring?

Also where is that sword at?!

Just out of curiosity why would left handed shears need a smaller standard size lower ring?

Also where is that sword at?!

Our manufacturing partner for these doesn't have forging dies already made for the oversized ring in left-handed configuration, but does have standard-sized left-handed ring dies. Cost would shoot up dramatically if we had to pay for forging dies.

The Kingfisher Machetes are being packed in El Salvador as we speak, and are expected to be ready to ship to us at the end of the month, after which it takes about a week for them to get here, and then we'll be inspecting them all and getting preorders filled. :)

As noted, that's just the number needed if we were exclusively funding it with preorders. We'll be diverting some of the proceeds from the soon-to-arrive Kingfisher machetes towards it. We're anxious to get them going as soon as possible! We're just not setting a firm date 'cause doing that would mean either setting folks up for disappointment if we miss the target, or would require waiting longer to actually make them available in order to have nearly the full funding already on hand. Doing it this way gives us the fastest route to the end results. :)

Nice to hear the Kingfisher I pre-ordered is going to help the new scissors I pre-ordered.

Side Note: Nice to hear the kingfishers are "coming soon" (and right on time no less)

edit: Fixing some typos

...and then we need a decent scissors sharpener ;)

Ray

Actually, the Arctic Fox scythe stone is perfect for it! If you get any nicks or rolls in the edge toward the interior, you can use the curved edge of the stone to deburr from the interior face. Lay the stone against the hollow-ground backside of the blade and then twist it until it contacts both the edge and spine, then ride the stone gently to hone the surface while maintaining the necessary hollow. Once the burr is removed, use the flat of the stone to hone the actual beveled exterior. I just touched up my primary use pair, which I've used daily for nearly a year for cutting lots of hard and abrasive materials, and the ride is back to being ultra-smooth and will push-cut brown paper with ease. :)

Back