Proud pommel pin on KA-BAR USSF Knife

I have a few KA-BAR's and wanted the new blue-handled USSF fighting knife. I really like it, however, it arrived with a badly seated pommel pin. It is not flush and the sharp protrusion makes for an uncomfortable grip. I really don't want to return it just for that. I'm tempted to just try and drive the pin in with a punch so that it is fully seated. I considered smoothing it out with a file, but I'm pretty sure that I would damage the finish on the pommel. Any suggestions for a remedy?

Is the tang level with the rear of the pommel?
If it isnt,you may have to push the pommel on to seat it properly before trying to seat the pin.

If the pommel is seated all the way,just try giving the pin a tap with a pin punch.
I put the pommel resting on a piece of leather when doing this so as not to mar the finish.

Is the tang level with the rear of the pommel?
If it isnt,you may have to push the pommel on to seat it properly before trying to seat the pin.

If the pommel is seated all the way,just try giving the pin a tap with a pin punch.
I put the pommel resting on a piece of leather when doing this so as not to mar the finish.
Yes, it is level. I'll try giving it a tap with a pin punch. I am surprised that this one slipped by QC. Thanks!

lately most I've seen in newer production have shorter pins driven well beyond the pommel edge.

After much back and forth communication with Ka-Bar, they sent me a shipping label and it went back for an exchange. I like the knife but don't trust my skills to do a perfect job.

I received my replacement knife from Ka-Bar with a properly installed pin. I love the knife and am glad that I returned the first one, as it bothered me every time I picked it up.

Back