• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Proxy Sales; Opinion Time

If you don't do international deals (proxy or direct), whatever your reasons, that's fine. But no, proxies are not making a separate deal for themselves. As discussed earlier in the thread, forwarding companies exist. The deal is purely between the seller and the buyer, and the proxy is simply another shipping company.
So, no charges to use a proxy service?

In my opinion proxy sales like this can be negotiated but the buyer should have a solution in hand in case they decide they don't want the knife. Just like you can negotiate on price or on other aspects of the exchange.

The last couple seem to have just stampeded to the nuclear option (or saying they'll send Polish Special Forces to get their revenge).

That kind of behavior put a bit of a stake in the idea of a proxy sales.

So, no charges to use a proxy service?
I was under the impression that you meant proxies were a whole other party to be considered in the deal, as would be the case if it was a friend in the US helping his buddy overseas. A forwarding service is just another shipping company, they get paid and they send out the package, they're not either a seller or a buyer. They don't handle or inspect the goods directly and they don't have any impact on the product itself.

If I misunderstood your meaning, my apologies.

To the folks that dislike proxy sales I say this: why don't you just ship the item directly then? Proxy addresses have only become a thing because people are unwilling to ship outside the US. A little communication is all it takes to keep things simple and smooth, whether the deal is domestic or international.

I understand it must be incredibly frustrating to find a knife you really would love to buy ... but are unable to buy due to sellers not shipping internationally ...

but I also understand a sellers caution with shipping internationally or through a third party ...

the third party can really make it hard to file a claim because the buyer and the third party addresses are not the same ...

I have done a couple that went smoothly but I discussed and made a deal with the buyer to have a third party of his choosing (that is in good standing here) ... and actually sell to the third party directly to avoid the different addresses and possible issues ...

then once the third party receives the knife and looks it over and is content it is as discribed ... then the deal is complete for me (the seller) ...

and from there it is totally between the third party and the actual buyer to work out how to get it to the buyer ... basically it's own second transaction ...

it may seem overly cautious ... but if a seller trusts someone to be their go between as a third party ... they should trust them and have those details worked out ahead of time.

Just how I have done it and the only way I would ...

If I take the trouble and added stress to proxy for an individual, and there is a manufacturers defect..... I don't even want to hear about it.

For proxies, the proxy buyer is doing you a service!!! They are giving you an opportunity to get a knife the end user would not otherwise get.

Now, if you are a dealer, sucking up production and turning a profit, then it is a different situation.

I've had people proxy for me at blade show Atlanta, and if the knives had defects, I'm going to deal with the manufacturer. I'm not going to bother the person who did me the favor!!!

Last edited:
I generally just refuse these sort of deals. If, and its a big IF, I bother to go through with them it's with the express written understanding in no uncertain terms thay the buyer is assuming 100% of the risk. If they dont like the knife, don't receive the knife, etc. they're just out. Sorry.

I'm not willing to assume that sort of risk as a seller, so if you want the knife bad enough to request that I jump through hoops to get it to you then the dice roll is going to be all yours.

I understand the added variables in such cases and the added worry it brings but shipping to a proxy doesn't really seem a 'jump through hoops' situation apart from some added time spent on messaging.
Your responsibility ends when the package arrives at the proxy (after communicating this with the buyer) at the specified condition which is valid for domestic deals as well.

Last edited:
I understand the added variables in such cases and the added worry it brings but shipping to a proxy doesn't really seem a 'jump through hoops' situation apart from some added time spent on messaging.
Your responsibility ends when the package arrives at the proxy (after communicating this with the buyer) at the specified condition which is valid for domestic deals as well.

Right, but you could still run into issues where the proxy claims to have not received it, despite delivery confirmation.

I'm not saying my approach is the right one, but if I'm the seller it either ships directly to the buyer in the main 48 or the buyer assumes 100% of risk when it leaves my hand. That or we just don't make a deal, hopefully parting friends.

Right, but you could still run into issues where the proxy claims to have not received it, despite delivery confirmation.

I'm not saying my approach is the right one, but if I'm the seller it either ships directly to the buyer in the main 48 or the buyer assumes 100% of risk when it leaves my hand. That or we just don't make a deal, hopefully parting friends.

In situations like these there's not right or wrong i believe, as anyone perceives a situation differently. It is understandable and discussions like this serve to bring forward ideas, issues, fears etc. that others maybe haven't thought of yet.

As i understand it, the only way that the seller has to bear extra responsibility is if he takes the responsibility of the shipping all the way to the final buyer. Usually that's not the case since the buyer does and i believe should, take responsibility until the delivery to proxy is done (always assuming that the condition is as described in the post).
Now, the proxy denying that he received the item, is a chance you equally take on a domestic deal.
If you are honest and responsible anyway, then you will remain so despite if you are the seller, the end user or a proxy and despite the country you live in(Here is where feedback and overall forum activity comes into play as well)

Note, i am not telling you 'do it' (proxy deals i mean) i just can't see the connection of a proxy deal being more complex than a domestic one (assuming that both parties are clear to their expectations and responsibilities) and i try to understand it. The only thing that i can see being a problem, is in the case of a package that goes missing or the goods get damaged in transit from the proxy to the end user, and DESPITE the fact that all the involved parties know that this was a risk that they willingly took, the seller just feels bad/awkward because of that. He will have the money but the buyer will have nothing to show for what he paid, and that's not an ideal situation for a lot of people.

Now, the proxy denying that he received the item, is a chance you equally take on a domestic deal.
If you are honest and responsible anyway, then you will remain so despite if you are the seller, the end user or a proxy and despite the country you live in(Here is where feedback and overall forum activity comes into play as well.

Agreed. There's no way to mitigate risk entirely, even on a domestic deal. At least with a direct shipment you have forum reputation and feedback to consider on both sides. If the proxy has no presence in the market though, they can throw a wrench in the spokes with no real fear of retribution.

Back