Prussian artillery saber, decent pic for real this time

Took a Prussian artillery saber in trade at BLADE show this year, since I'm getting back into saber work and wanted an original working piece-the blade is marked as being made in 1870, but it's cut to the later 30" artillery pattern with the single ring scabbard, bakelite grip and a threaded nut instead of peened pommel. What's also interesting is that at some point it went to war, because it's sharp, and not in a "some duffer sharpened it" way either. It's also got the fugly black paint finish, which is wearing off anyway, so the question is-do I gently strip the paint and just oil the thing, or leave it? I didn't really buy it as a "collectible" but I'm not going to go out of my way to damage its value.

Turns out I wore most of the paint off the grip training. Having the thing inspired that Polish saber as well, which is a WIP

Last edited:
Leave the paint as is. It's been sharpened, perhaps for Franco-Prussian War service, so it's earned its Boba Fett status. As long as you're not getting flakes of lead based paint in your eyes as you practice your moulinets, it shouldn't give you any trouble. Be careful you don't drop it or let it fall so as to keep the bakelite from breaking. That material gets brittle after almost 150 years.

Pics?

Zieg

Thanks
Leave the paint as is. It's been sharpened, perhaps for Franco-Prussian War service, so it's earned its Boba Fett status. As long as you're not getting flakes of lead based paint in your eyes as you practice your moulinets, it shouldn't give you any trouble. Be careful you don't drop it or let it fall so as to keep the bakelite from breaking. That material gets brittle after almost 150 years.

Pics?

Zieg
Thanks Zieg-hadn't thought about the lead paint angle. I'd love to upload pics but with the new format and my antique phone I pretty much can't. I'll fiddle with it but that's one of the reasons I'm never on BF anymore.

Thanks

Thanks Zieg-hadn't thought about the lead paint angle. I'd love to upload pics but with the new format and my antique phone I pretty much can't. I'll fiddle with it but that's one of the reasons I'm never on BF anymore.
If you can snap a pic and send it to a host, copy the link to this thread and I'll upload it for you. Or you can email me the pic and I can post it for you. thezieg at myedl dot com

Zieg

s

Hi J W, been a while! Ya man, I don't use a smartphone either. Gonna try to avoid it forever. :D

Looking forward to seeing the sword.

Hi J W, been a while! Ya man, I don't use a smartphone either. Gonna try to avoid it forever. :D

Looking forward to seeing the sword.
Hey Mecha-I do actually have an (old) smartphone...which clearly didn't work because I'm the only one who can see the pics...and that's why I'm never on BF anymore.

Hey Mecha-I do actually have an (old) smartphone...which clearly didn't work because I'm the only one who can see the pics...and that's why I'm never on BF anymore.

Aha. I use my computer only for Bladeforums. Well good to seeya here again anyway.

Nice sword.
Im into 1796 light cavalry sabres myself.
Do you have an email (non-sword related)?

Back