• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

PSA: Shipping Knives from home with USPS

Not sure how many people know this but USPS will pick up small pre-paid packages if you put them in your mailbox and leave the flag up.

Printing labels with paypal saves a little bit too, most <8oz with no insurance will ship for around 3$, add insurance its still cheaper and usually just as quick as priority.

No more time/gas wasted going to the post office for me and bonus for buyers is that items quickly ship the next day after payment.

Not sure how many people know this but USPS will pick up small pre-paid packages if you put them in your mailbox and leave the flag up.

Printing labels with paypal saves a little bit too, most <8oz with no insurance will ship for around 3$, add insurance its still cheaper and usually just as quick as priority.

No more time/gas wasted going to the post office for me and bonus for buyers is that items quickly ship the next day after payment.

Have heard about this, but I like getting the receipt from the PO...that way if something happens they can't claim it was never in their possession.

Have heard about this, but I like getting the receipt from the PO...that way if something happens they can't claim it was never in their possession.

You should also get a weight if you go to the PO, which can be beneficial if stolen
But for those that going to the PO is a real hassle the OP's suggestion can be very useful

They scan the items when they pick them up too, i usually put them out in the morning and its only a few hours before usps gets there.
I have Tracking OCD so i keep checking to make sure they pick them up.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have not shipped a knife from the PO in ten years. I shipped HUNDREDS from my home office.

I have an account at USPS (Anyone can create that.) Prints on a large letter-size label (or plain sheet of paper), and save the second half to my files.

Not only are all shipments coded for scanning, they offer FREE shipping boxes. Just order in a size you need in quantity.

It works.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have not shipped a knife from the PO in ten years. I shipped HUNDREDS from my home office.

I have an account at USPS (Anyone can create that.) Prints on a large letter-size label (or plain sheet of paper), and save the second half to my files.

Not only are all shipments coded for scanning, they offer FREE shipping boxes. Just order in a size you need in quantity.

It works.

Plus with the account, you can order the free priority shipping boxes and envelopes and they deliver them to your door, free of charge. Then pay for and print the labels, drop back in mailbox and never leave home.

Let me add.....

I am a postal employee and I’m a carrier that picks up and scans these packages. The only problem with these packages is the label! Cover them completely with packing tape. Any small amount of moisture will blur that printer ink and make it unreadable. As a secondary measure I either write the addresses on the box (before I attach the label) or put a small paper inside the box with the knife. But I am anal about that stuff.

They scan the items when they pick them up too, i usually put them out in the morning and its only a few hours before usps gets there.
I have Tracking OCD so i keep checking to make sure they pick them up.

Perhaps your carrier does this, i.e, scan the outgoing Priority Mail packages in your PO Box but this is not a widespread practice. Usually they just put it in their pick up bin and drop off at the local facility. At some local USPS facilities such packages get scanned but if they do not, they tend to get scanned at the main outgoing USPS hub (but not always).

Wasting time and gas is a valid factor but I still prefer to take to my local USPS and ask someone to scan the packages as "Prepaid Acceptance". At some USPS retail offices you may not have to wait for this because most often there's someone with the red vest servicing the line who also carries a small device which can scan packages and some even can print you a receipt from a Wi-Fi nearby printer.

It is the carriers job to scan those packages when they are picked up. More so when I empty one of my collection boxes (the blue one on the corner). We get in trouble when we don’t.

you can request a carrier pick up too.

Back