PSK knife thread

Sweet PSK! I really like the green canvas micarta, now I'm really glad mines has the pre-drilled holes.

If you want to darken the micarta, rub some type of oil on it. I've started doing this with micarta handles. Looks great.
Scott

.....could you tweak the sheaths to adjust to fit the different handle sizes? .......

Nothing is impossible but I think you'd be messing with the single most fussy part of a Kydex sheath and the simplicity that makes them affordable. Getting the tension just right so that you retain the knife without wedging the blade itself between two layers of Kydex, yet have smooth insertion and presentation is pretty much what forming the sheath to the single specific knife is all about. I am just a beginner with this stuff so someone more experienced could tell you I'm full of beans.

I would think that you would be better served with two sheaths and using .060" on the one for the wrapped handle. Not saying it isn't possible but it would take some fussing and the probablility that you are not happy with it using one knife or the other would be high. You could also forget to tighten the screws on the "naked" days and lose your prized possession.:eek: The screws on the highly contoured sheath I did only attach the sheath to the Tek-Lok. The tension is all in the forming and the placement of the rivets. That is why the top rivet (aka "mounting hole") only goes through the back of the sheath. If it went through both layers, your knife would be almost permenently locked into the sheath.

On the other hand, if you saw my "neck sheath" for my "naked" PSK, I am holding onto the the front edge of the roach belly(?) with the Kydex and the sheath should not be in the way of the wrap. Shoving the wrap in and out of the thicker Kydex would probably loosen the warp up anyway. If you latch onto this part of the blade, you have to ease and polish the edges on the knife so you don't shave away the little bit of Kydex that is holding onto your knife.

Blah, blah, blah... Man, for someone who doesn't know what he's talking about I sure have a lot to say, don't I? If I didn't answer your question, hit me up again.

That is a fantastic looking sheath sir!

Thanks!
And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
The PSK is so sweet to latch onto the first time, isn't it? The pics are great but getting one is a whole 'nuther story. It's one of the few knives I have bought that actually exceeded my expectations.

Thanks for the in depth reply; that made total sense. I think you are better then you make it sound, hahah.

jeff.. those PSK sheaths are waaaay nice dude...:eek::thumbup: i wish a had one of the PSK's with the scales now..:eek:

Thanks a lot. Green canvas is indeed a winner, although the buffalo and stag scales I have seen on Scott's knives are just so right.

Sweet PSK! I really like the green canvas micarta, now I'm really glad mines has the pre-drilled holes.

Scott,

Just a thought for the future: if the rivet holes on the PSK sheaths were just a tiny bit bigger, and a tiny bit further apart, a guy would be able to slap a small Tek-lok on there no probs. If he had one lying around that is...

Just a thought... :D

I took my cardboard/duct tape sheath and wrapped it with some paracord.

Picture51.jpg

Picture52.jpg

I think it looks better then just the duct tape showing and the paracord could come in handy. I could also make a loop for neck carry as well.

Just some fun and cheap ideas. And later, just for the hell of it, I'm going to make a D-Guard like this.

d01_dguard.jpg

IMG_7990.jpg

Here's the current condition of my PSK. Pretty soon, I'll be making some homemade micarta with old black denim jeans and slap them on, it should look similar to black canvas micarta.

The home brewed micarta sounds interesting, keep us posted on the results.

these PSK's are sick. There are lots of PSK's out there...but the gossman's sick.

i want one.

I put some new wrap on the PSK and gave it a fresh patina dip. Here it is sitting on a bed of 45acp brass, my favorite caliber. This is the last photo of this PSK, sold it to fund a new toy from Scott. I will miss this PSK:(

I just got my PSK and it is now officially my new EDC.

Here is one random fact...

The width of the sheath allows it to slide perfectly into the "change / pocket watch slot" that is inside of the right slash pocket on Joseph A. Banks Travelers Pleated Khakis.

I wear these type of pants religiously for business attire and the PSK fits into the pocket like a glove. NICE!

If you want to darken the micarta, rub some type of oil on it. I've started doing this with micarta handles. Looks great.
Scott

An easy thing you can do also, that seems to last very well, and is still grippy is to use shoe polish and a shoe polish brush. They sell black, brown, red shoe polish (which ever matches your color scales or if you really want to change the color a bit). Just put a tiny bit on the scales and buff with the shoe polish brush.

Well in the spirit of the fall, i used my PSK to gut my deer, this is my 1st bow kill. Got it this morning!! Pretty stoked. The PSK did great!!! i will proably get one with a longer handle if i use it soley for this purpose, but it did awesome. Only issue i had was cutting the pelvic bone. It opened up the sternum sternum like a zipper with little to no effort. I will get it cleaned up when i get time, for now its back to work!!!
16102008283.jpg

16102008284.jpg

Congrates on your successful hunt. :thumbup: Thanks for the pics. Nothing like a bloody knife. :D I hope to score a deer within the next week and a half.
Scott

Back