PSK Knife

The amount of of requests I get for PSK knives, that avatar is so appropriate. :D
Scott

I can predict a few more requests.:thumbup:

This is one stout little booger! I am loving this blade shape and the size is right. I've been very busy but I had a chance to play,.. er,.. get the fire going again. I chopped off a 1 1/2" stick of seasoned Apple wood with it and split it up using a baton - the edge held up great. I cut ("scored") those pieces as deeply as I could with a few push cuts and broke them in half and fuzzed them up. Then I batoned a corner off a chunk of seasoned hard maple and made sveral "finger-thick" sticks which I fuzzed up with longer, coarser "feathers" which curled nicely. I didn't use the ferro-rod since I had an ember left in the stove BUT, the spine has a perfect edge for that (did that last time). I will try to get out and cut some saplings tomorrow. As for delicate work, I have not done a lot but it is certainly capable and "fits" with several different holds for such work. While the fire was getting up I did some "carving" (akin to doodling on a blotter with a pen) and I was pleased with the position of the tip and belly during use. This is a great blade shape and the overall size is just right. The only place I got into trouble was with the top corner on the butt where it gave me a sore spot in my palm but I was sitting in quitue a little pile of chips by the time I finished. As a piece of survival gear, this one is tops but I don't think many of us will be content to stow it in an emergency kit and forget about it. People are going to ave these out playing with them. I am glad I got one without scales - to stow unnoticed in my bag for a dire emergency - and one with scales - to have to use more as an EDC.

Jeff, thanks for the report. As with any "skeleton" type knife, comfort will always be an issue. Cord wrapped, they are better as far as comfort. The micarta scales are the best way to go. They give a secure grip, are still flat enough for comfortable carry and add to the overall look of the knife.
Try wrapping the handle and you'll see the difference.
Scott

.....Try wrapping the handle and you'll see the difference.
Scott

Will do, Scott.
I did want to see just how much I could do without the wrap first. For no more than there is to bear on, I think it did great. For general use and EDC, no problem with no wrap. If you start cutting stuff up for firewood and maybe a shelter pole, you want some cord or something. I think I need a couple more of these.

Oh, and HAPPY EASTER!

Back