PSK Sr Passaround Reviews

Well, there are stuffed lions and there are real lions. Except Brett already killed the stuffed ones with an RC-4...:D

I know it's not the time of year in most states for hunting, but I'd like to see some game and or fish work. Skinning game, cleaning fish and prep for the pan or pot. I do alot of field testing of blades on whitetails. Hunting is one of the reasons I became a knifemaker.:D
Scott

Last I heard, it was going to Darby, Tyler, TX, and should be there for the weekend. See the PSK passaround post.

Looks like the eagle has landed in Tyler, Tx. Can't wait to see the reviews.

Brett

It landed at my house yesterday. Came semi dull, but with Bretts help(thanks again!) its on its way to being sharp. This is my first time playing with a convex.

After I sharpen at at work tonight, I will have all day tomorrow to cut stuff in my back yard and take pics.

Tiny Pre-Review: Love it....want one. And this is just based on holding it.

Edit: Happy to report, after about 20-30 minutes of sand paper its ALMOST shaving sharp(A few hairs pop). Not as sharp as I would like, but definitely sharp enough to cut some stuff tomorrow. Cuts paper like a dream :)

Just curious where we're at with the passaround. The pics so far have been awesome.
Scott

Scott,

The last passaround guy is working on his review and Darby should be having some fun with it today. It's been a great passaround thus far!

Brett

Ok, first I would like to say I am sorry for the delay but its finals time and I haven't had a lot of free time lately. On to the review...

First Impressions

DSC02756.JPG

DSC02758.JPG

This knife looks amazing. The shape is simple and doesn’t look like it will be comfortable in the hand but it fits surprisingly well. The blade’s full convex grind makes it wicked sharp, it was scary to run my finger along it. The handle is simple with its thin slabs, slightly thicker then my cord wrapped PSK, allowing it to be held in many configurations and remain comfortable. The balance of the knife is perfect with the balance point being at the finger notch.

DSC02771.JPG

Comparing the PSK and PSK Sr.
The two knives are almost identical except for their length. I think it will be better to see picture rather than reading my dribble.

DSC02762.JPG

DSC02769.JPG

Using the PSK Sr.
The first day of my pass around I did not use the knife all that much. It was mainly for getting used to the knife and for taking some pictures. I did take it outside and did some batoning, notching and tent stake whittling.

DSC02772.JPG

DSC02783.JPG

The second day I was able to use the knife a lot more. I like to eat and would like to think I can cook and sometimes the food even tastes good. For lunch I cut up a pineapple get a base line of the knife’s cutting ability. The knife performed great. It cut easily through the tuff rind and cubed the softer fruit effortlessly. The only drawback was that I kept hitting my knuckles on the cutting bard due to the blade shape but I am sure that my kitchen knife won’t baton like the Gossman.

DSC02807.JPG

DSC02808.JPG

DSC02810.JPG

Nice review man!!!!

If you would like a quick lesson on how to sharpen Convex, call my cell and I'll run you through my method. It has worked for bearthedog and darbyfett!

Love the pics and your review is great!

Well, you never know. You might get this one in the raffle...:)

Take care,
Brett

Continued....

For dinner I made a dish that requires a large amount of prep work, stir-fry. I didn’t have all the ingredients I thought I had but chopped up some stuff none the less. The knife is a great slicer as well as a chopper. The blade length lends itself to easily cut through the larger vegetables while still allowing me to use it for finer work like skinning a few potatoes.

DSC02831.JPG

DSC02836.JPG

DSC02838.JPG

Some extra pictures I like

DSC02775.JPG

DSC02845.JPG

The short story
Good

--Stout no nonsense blade
--Awesome ergonomics
--I will definitely have to buy one of these

Bad
--Haven’t learned how to sharpen convex consistently
--I don’t own one
--I would rather not have a black handle

I would like to thank Scott and Brett for allowing us to do this pass around and setting it up for us.

Oh yeah I want to thank my helpers too. They know to stand near me when I get to fixing food. I always drop something.

DSC02790.JPG

Brett,

Thanks for the offer but I think I got it down, just not well enough to do it on I knife I don't own. I trust myself on my own knives but not when I could screw up someone elses.

completely understood! It's always weird sharpening a knife that you know is not going to stay put.

Take care!
Brett
Brett,

Thanks for the offer but I think I got it down, just not well enough to do it on I knife I don't own. I trust myself on my own knives but not when I could screw up someone elses.

Back