PSK Sr Passaround Reviews

Nice review and great looking pics. Nothing better than seeing the Sr at work, thanks.

Brett,

Thanks for the offer but I think I got it down, just not well enough to do it on I knife I don't own. I trust myself on my own knives but not when I could screw up someone elses.

I felt the exact same way. I was scared I was going to screw it up.

My review will be nowhere near as good or detailed. I had very little to cut in my backyard and the kitchen was empty, so its mainly a few crappy glamor shots. It should be up tonight.

I am sorry if this review is short and boring. I didn't have much to work with. I didn't want to remove any limbs I didn't have to in my landlords back yard and I have no food in the house. So this will mainly be text and a few glamor shots.

When I received the knife, it was a bit dull, but thanks to Bretts help I got it almost shaving sharp. The knife has enough heft to remind you its in your hand, but not enough to be overweight. Its incredibly comfortable.

The grinds where superb. I love how the the blade just flows...thats the best way I can describe it. I know this isn't much, but the Gossman logo looks amazing lol. Once I got the knife sharp, I couldn't quit cutting paper.

I couldn't get over the the shape of the blade its self. Simple, Robust. While the knife won't win a beauty contest, I wouldn't want it to. Its beauty lies in its ruggedness. And it is still quite a looker in my eyes. I don't own any fancy knives, nor do I want to. Knives are like guns, I don't want to worry about scratches, nicks, stains, etc. Thats why I only buy rugged knives and guns. And I would buy this knife.

Now my complaints
Scales could be a little thicker for me. But I am torn on this one. I like the profile of the knife, but my hands could use a LITTLE more to grab onto.

Thumbramp. My thumb slips easily when on the back of the blade.

Sheath, knife was a little loose in the sheath. But if I win(cross fingers) I may through on some leather pants, as I prefer leather over kydex.

Overall this is a great knife, and will make whoever wins it a very, very happy camper.

Thank you for the opportunity to participate. Loved it.

Now blurry glamor shots!

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

My first attempt ever at a fishing spear, but the wood was WAY to soft and wet to make any barbs.
IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0955-1.jpg

IMG_0957-1.jpg

Cool. Good to hear everyones opinions. I must have small hands since I always have enough handle.

Thanks for the review Darby. :thumbup: One thing about knives is it is a personal item. What fits one persons hand may not fit another. These reviews help me as a maker see what different people prefer.
Scott

Great review. Knife goes to aceofblades next. he's had a family emergency but will be back on Monday and will review then. He'll then ship on next Thursday.

i think all is going VERY well so far.

Thanks everyone!

Brett

Cool. Good to hear everyones opinions. I must have small hands since I always have enough handle.

actually, the handle fits perfect for me, but I also have small hands.

Something about circus people with their small hands and pointy teeth...:)

With the handles, it was only uncomfortable when I held the knife...hrm...like I was making a fist. I never hold a knife like that during use though, so the thicker scales comment is really just a moot point.

I really do love the knife though.

Darby,
I think your review was great - stop disparaging it.
Seems like we all do the same stuff, say the same things in reviews sometimes and a little twist is good - gets us out of the rut.

Not that I won't do all the same old stuff with it myself:eek:

I appreciate it.

I wasn't so much disparaging my review, just clarifying my thoughts on the scales. Like I said in the review I was torn on that aspect.

....just clarifying my thoughts on the scales.....

Good point about how you hold the knife while "fondling" it and when actually using it. I only hold a knife like that (like a hammer) when making long fuzzies or sharpening stanchions or tarp stakes but I think the flat sides help control the direction of the edge and the flat back provides as much surface area as can be comfortably had for the width in that application. Otherwise, like you said, most of us probably don't hold a knife like that for most tasks.

Ok guys. I am sorry for the hold up on the review. HERE IT IS!
I loved this knife! When I first held it, I could tell it was quality! I like that in a knife!
Passaroundandothers077.jpg

First off, I went to the woods for a little batonning.
Passaroundandothers078.jpg

Passaroundandothers079.jpg

It performed GREAT!
I then used it to make myself a little walking stick! It cut wood like paper!
Passaroundandothers080.jpg

Here are just a few glamor shots!
Passaroundandothers081.jpg

Here it is next to my new edc. A CRK small classic sebbie.
Passaroundandothers082.jpg

Now a little food prep.
Passaroundandothers083.jpg

Passaroundandothers084.jpg

And Next to the Brand new Ruger LCP in .380
Passaroundandothers085.jpg

All in all, this is a great little knife. It is a bargain at any price!

Nice review Joe. Love it!

I'll email you the next person on the list.

Take care,
Brett

Thanks for the review Ace. :thumbup: I think it's so cool with passarounds that the knife travels around the country.
Scott

OK, I started uploading pictures two hours ago and had to cut back so the comparison shots next to other knives are gone and the in-hand shots for reference went as well.

The first thing I thought when I got the knife out of the envelope was, "man, this thing feels odd!" Then I rolled it around a little, gripped it a couple different ways and realized that the unique feel (and look) has some definite qualities. It seems long, flat and narrow, like a 12" wooden ruler but it's light and nimble. It "hangs" in your hand due to its balance and wide handle. The handle "registers" well, telling you where it is even if you're not looking at it. Its slim, straight form and thin scales make for a very compact form factor in spite of the fact that it's a four-inch knife with a generous handle. It will stow where others won't and be unobtrusive to boot. The blade shape wins my heart immediately as does the convex grind. I had some trouble getting along with the secondary convex as I had to learn to keep the knife at a higher angle than I am used to to engage the edge. It takes an edge very well, of course. While the handle is thin, I have one other four-incher with the same width handle and I found that out because I felt the handle to be uncomfortable when doing heavy cutting, like cutting saplings and sharpening stakes. Comparing the two knives I noticed the other was slightly more rounded across the back of the handle and that little difference in geometry makes a big difference in confort. Easily enough remedied if desired so no detraction. The sqaurish bottom edge of the handle is very handy in manipulating the knife position in your hand.

I started with some bothersome Cherry saplings that I am cleaning out.
I had to rock the knife a bit to get through this in spite of a shaving-sharp edge but, it works.
SGPSKSR01051008.jpg

Hacking actually worked more quickly and, for its apparent lightness, the knife cut extremely well this way.
SGPSKSR02051008.jpg

Sharpening stakes was easy once I got in the habit of holding the blade at a higher angle.
SGPSKSR03051008.jpg

Green wood was no contest. How about two-year seasoned Cherry from orchard trees? I had to do this. The knife begged me and egged me on as I pounded. This is one you would be lucky to have if it were all you had and you were in a tight spot. You won't waste time worrying about a delicate knife.
SGPSKSR04051008.jpg

Look at the size of that chip!
SGPSKSR05051008.jpg

And again from the other side...
SGPSKSR06051008.jpg

to be continued.....

Last edited:
Back