PSK Sr Passaround!!!!

Well, I didn't add a lot to the patina but - just a little bit more as it goes from hand to hand. Then too, a fella may want to start fresh and "build" his own patina. It's not like this one won't get used. You can't just fondle this one and be happy to look at it. It has a real "tale me out and play with me" appeal to it. It looks and feels so tough that you just want to get it out and get it dirty. Even with its "rugged good looks" it's very, very handy. That's what struck me most as I handled it. It has a very natural feel in use in spite of its "granola bar" handle and "bar stock" blade looks. I would never have expected it to handle like it does. I have always liked the more "unnatural," non-form-fitting handles myself as I have always found them to be comfortable and to offer better versatility in various gripping/holding styles. I have a few that betray that idea but overall, the "tool handle" shapes please me most.

I just got the knife! I'm excited to put it to use these next few days! My wife is out of town, so I will have some real time to beat it up.

L

I had a chance to get out in the woods with the knife this weekend! I'll post my thoughts and some pictures soon. I'm ready to mail it if someone can get me the address.

I had a chance to get out in the woods with the knife this weekend! I'll post my thoughts and some pictures soon. I'm ready to mail it if someone can get me the address.

address coming your way naked!

Brett

The knife was shipped on Tuesday! Sorry I haven't been able to post back yet.

In short, I really liked the knife. I kept having to remind myself that it is a PSK, and not a Bushcraft knife life I'm used too. So, even though it is a more minimalistic knife, the handle fit comfortably. This was my first handling of a knife with a convex edge. After using it for a while along side of my flat ground Krein Bushcraft, and was able to work the flat grind better than the convex. The knife didn't seem to be crazy sharp (which I didn't expect after being passed around). I had some difficulty making fuzz sticks, which could have been due to my unfamiliarity with the convex edge. I also noticed that the O1 had some rust spots appear very quickly. So, for a PSK knife I don't know if I favor O1 for this or not. But as a general use knife I think O1 would be fine. I liked the slimness of the knife, I just kept it in my front or back pocket and didn't notice it most of the time.

If I was to purchase a PSK, I might go for a regular sized one. But, I really enjoyed trying out the knife. This was my first convex, my first O1, my first Gossman, and my first passaround!

Thanks for letting me participate!

L

I broke my camera! So here are the only photos I could snap of the knife:
IMG_0898.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

.....I had some difficulty making fuzz sticks, which could have been due to my unfamiliarity with the convex edge.....L

I had a little trouble with this at first as well and figured out that the "secondary" convex edge (as opposed to a full height convex "ground to sharp") was throwing me off. I could get it to shave hair easily but it didn't seem to cut wood like it was sharp. If you were doing what I was doing, you may have been holding the knife too flat against the work. I figured out that if I held the knife at a higher angle and used less force, it cut just fine. No fault on the part of the knife or the design, just a matter of me getting to know the knife. One thing about an edge like this is that it is incredibly durable. For a knife that may be your only tool - only companion, in a dire situation, where all my favorite sharpening tools are not a mere few steps away, this makes sense to me. It wouldn't take me long to adjust if it were my only knife and I were using it a good part of each day as I focus on keeping my hide intact.:D

Nice review!

Jeff, thanks for the explanation about the edge. With the slight secondary bevel, it also makes it easier to resharpen with simple hand sharpeners in the field. The angle to sharpen is higher as you roll off the edge. When Brett and Brian come by for a vivsit, I plan on showing how I field sharpen on video.
Scott

Here's some whittling I did this morning with a standard size PSK knife with micarta. As with a any knife, becoming familiar with the grind/edge geometry helps.
Scott

Attachments

• carving.jpg
    carving.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 25
.....When Brett and Brian come by for a vivsit, I plan on showing how I field sharpen on video.
Scott

Now, THAT will be cool!:thumbup:
My sharpening habits are "old" habits when sharpening my edges but they were no better than "bad" habits when I sharpened your edge. I could use a pointer or two. I would like to maintain the original edge on my Kephart when it comes.:D February is not that far away!

IUKE12...the SR is on it's way to you man.

Please let us know when you get it.

Thanks!
Brtt

The knife has arrived, give me a few days with it, and then on to the next lucky participant.

IUKE12...the SR is on it's way to you man.

Please let us know when you get it.

Thanks!
Brtt
My review is completed, thanks for allowing me to play with the Sr. You can PM the address of the next participant, and I will get it mailed out.

Back