Purchased my first Ontario knife.

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
Aside from my grandfather's old True edge grape hook I don't own any Ontario knives yet for some strange reason.
I don't even have an old hickory yet.

Anyways I came across a like new 498 on eBay yesterday for under $40 and decided to buy it, not that it matters but it does have the box.
I've wanted a MK2 style knife for a long time and I figured this 498 was a good choice since I had lusted after one at the local surplus store as a kid but could not afford the $50 they wanted for it.

Being all black it doesn't really have as much visual appeal to me as a Ka-Bar or case version might, but I think I want to see about stripping the black finish off the blade and handle.

I think I'll probably just take the handle to a belt sander since I'm going to want it more oval than round anyways , the blade I'm hoping I'll be able to strip with some Jasco as long as masking tape will be enough to protect the guard.

Never done this before so id appreciate any advice.

I just like the rugged style of 498. If the coating is worn off, it's better to buy 1217.

I completely forgot about this thread.
Here's the first one next to a stock 498

And here it is next the 2nd when I finished it.

I gave the first to my buddy, and only have this one now.
Very beautiful knives. After removing the coating, they seem to become another knife. They are all very beautiful. Thank you for showing me.

Very beautiful knives. After removing the coating, they seem to become another knife. They are all very beautiful. Thank you for showing me.
I did do more than just remove the parkerizing from the blades, I also reshaped the slip and swedge.

I did do more than just remove the parkerizing from the blades, I also reshaped the slip and swedge.
Nice work, they look great. :)
However, I still have a question. (sorry about that):
I don't know how often you use your 498, or for what tasks.
Do you let the blade patina over time, or force it shiny?

Nice work, they look great. :)
However, I still have a question. (sorry about that):
I don't know how often you use your 498, or for what tasks.
Do you let the blade patina over time, or force it shiny?
Haven't really used it much, but I never remove patina on any of my knives and it would be no different here.

I got one of them 498m (modified I think?). No fuller, and no sharpened swedge, I can live with no fuller and no swedge of because of "Evil Dagger" state issues. that one is tough as heck, as a junker knife it sure junks stuff before it gets junked itself.

I got one of them 498m (modified I think?). No fuller, and no sharpened swedge, I can live with no fuller and no swedge of because of "Evil Dagger" state issues. that one is tough as heck, as a junker knife it sure junks stuff before it gets junked itself.
I've thought about getting a 498M, lots more possibilities for reshaping the blade without the fuller.
I may do that in the future.

I've thought about getting a 498M, lots more possibilities for reshaping the blade without the fuller.
I may do that in the future.
thought discontinued? I grabbed a couple while back on clearance for cheap. I like this modified version better. just cleaner finish and no fuller which I prefer.

thought discontinued? I grabbed a couple while back on clearance for cheap. I like this modified version better. just cleaner finish and no fuller which I prefer.
Just haven't gotten around to it yet, I really have no need for a belt knife this size.
They're cool though so I don't really have to need them.

The only advice I can give for knife mods is to go slow, very slow.
Definitely good advice for newcomers.
I've seen a lot of people on YouTube take blades full hog to power tools and ruin them.
Gotta have some water on hand and be careful.

Back