Purple! Because Ice cream has no bones!

Thats nice looking country Chris, and cool that it's so close. I wonder if thats an immature Bald eagle, or a Golden eagle? I think adult males and female Balds have the same markings, but I know immature ones look more like a Golden. Whatever it is, that looked like a good day on the water.

Wildlife has moved back most places it can.
We have Coyotes and had a Cougar here by the ocean a couple of years back in 3rd st Promenade.
Unfortunately they shot the cat. To many people around that wanted to see and pet the kitty.:rolleyes: I hoped they would net it and relocate. They were scared it would hurt someone before the F & W people could get here.

Thats nice looking country Chris, and cool that it's so close. I wonder if thats an immature Bald eagle, or a Golden eagle? I think adult males and female Balds have the same markings, but I know immature ones look more like a Golden. Whatever it is, that looked like a good day on the water.

I've only lived here for two years and the Bald eagles are thick around here in the winter. Starved Rock, ~40 minutes drive from here, hosts dozens of them every winter. You can find nests along the Fox River when the canopy is thinner.

I didn't know Goldens were indigenous to this area so now you got me thinking. I'll have to do a little digging.

Somewhat related, this reminds me of an old episode of In Search Of... With Leonard Nimoy that fascinated me when I was younger. A Native American had caught what he said were Thunderbirds on video while canoeing in Illinois.

Years later, Monsterquest covered the same story. Skip to ~9:25

[video=youtube_share;2D1vIm5f66A]http://youtu.be/2D1vIm5f66A[/video]

Maybe. Just maybe...

:p

Laurence, we have Coyote here as well. Unfortunately, because we're close to the city, all we can do is report sightings. I've seen more in the past two years than I did in 45 years in Michigan.

Making long-ish high pitched "kissing" sounds (trying to imitate an injured rabbit) I called one in while sitting around the fire with a friend in his yard. His yard backs up to a park with woods and I got it to maybe 75 yards out before it gave up.

Last edited:
I love monster quest. A good friend of mine...who is as a stand up a guy as anyone I have ever known, swears that he saw what he can only explain as a pterodactyl once while he was in Texas. I called bs a million time but he has always stuck to the story. He was hiking along the Rio Grande river and said it was huge. Said he watched about a min before it flew away. I'm not saying there is but he's a smart, squared away dude that swears it.

I once spent the better part of a week visiting my sister-in-law in Bulloch County, GA.

You've never heard of it because even Sherman didn't think it was worth the trouble.

Anyway, at one of the two clubs in town (there are no bars in Bulloch Co. Only private clubs attached to liquor stores. It's complicated.) I got into a conversation with a local that had, not one, but two Bigfoot encounters.

He shut me up and took all my ammo when he said no Bigfoot remains have ever been found and sightings are rare because they are actually water apes that live underwater.

:confused:

I recall blood coming out of my nose and thinking in very simple, single sylable words for some time after that. I'm not sure how I got out of Georgia or if I fell off my bar stool laughing or if I dreamt the whole thing while aboard an alien spacecraft. All I know is, I had been beaten and I am never going back there. Turpentine Festival or not.

Haha! That's a great story. Another guy I knew was a serious big foot guy. He would get pissed at the TV shows and said it made the "serious" investigators look bad.

From my last two stories I'm starying to realize I have some odd friends. Maybe I should cull the herd....you know what they say....Less is more :thumbup:

I love monster quest. A good friend of mine...who is as a stand up a guy as anyone I have ever known, swears that he saw what he can only explain as a pterodactyl once while he was in Texas. I called bs a million time but he has always stuck to the story. He was hiking along the Rio Grande river and said it was huge. Said he watched about a min before it flew away. I'm not saying there is but he's a smart, squared away dude that swears it.

It was most likely in a museum and I suspect there was LSD involved.

I once spent the better part of a week visiting my sister-in-law in Bulloch County, GA.

You've never heard of it because even Sherman didn't think it was worth the trouble.

Anyway, at one of the two clubs in town (there are no bars in Bulloch Co. Only private clubs attached to liquor stores. It's complicated.) I got into a conversation with a local that had, not one, but two Bigfoot encounters.

He shut me up and took all my ammo when he said no Bigfoot remains have ever been found and sightings are rare because they are actually water apes that live underwater.

I recall blood coming out of my nose and thinking in very simple, single sylable words for some time after that. I'm not sure how I got out of Georgia or if I fell off my bar stool laughing or if I dreamt the whole thing while aboard an alien spacecraft. All I know is, I had been beaten and I am never going back there. Turpentine Festival or not.

Glad you escaped Chris, I've heard of that place Georgia but never knew anyone that got out......:rolleyes:

I once spent a weekend at a little Chevron truckstop at exit 116 on I-16 in Bulloch County. At least I think it was a weekend. I think I met the same people you did and I may or may not have been abducted.

I once spent a weekend at a little Chevron truckstop at exit 116 on I-16 in Bulloch County. At least I think it was a weekend. I think I met the same people you did and I may or may not have been abducted.

I was in Metter. Exit 104.

The locals will tell you , "Everything is better in Metter". I'm not sure if it was because it is perpetually 1958 there or if The DNA that they all share is just hard wired that way. :p

Coming from a long line of dentally challenged mouth breathers, there's a reason I live in Montana! But I love the South, I lived in northern AL for a short while and have good friends there. I miss everything but the humidity. There are places though that you just don't go!

Hence, the 1958 comment. There is still an offensive level of racism in some of the lesser known areas of the south. Just being a "Yankee" or not having an accent made me a bit more cautious of what I said and who I said it to.:p

All I know is Audrey rocked in a cowboy hat in 1958!
2179110121_65e8db3ea6_z.jpg

Hmmm? I just watch Reese Witherspoon play June Carter next to whats his name as Johnny in, Walk the line!

Damn! She was pretty!
I was born in 58, so maybe it wasn't all bad? Or Maybe it was?:D

Wow. At the cowboy hat. She is so beautiful and I've never seen that photo. Wow.

I'm enjoying a Sam Adams Octoberfest at the moment. Waiting on a gorgeous K'roo and a set of Interior Elephant Ivory knives and several other traditionals including a couple Beer Scout knives to arrive. The weather is nice here, warm, upper 80s, but the humidity has dropped below 50% and a light breeze is creating early Fall-ish weather. I love Fall.
News is going in the background.......
Replaced a rear chunk and axle on a Honda ATV today, and diag'd a bad rectifier on a Yamaha Timberwolf.
Worked on my friends rear deck sanding and staining the bar area today too.
Good day, tired. Enjoying the beer and the forum life. Girlfriend hasn't made it home from class yet. nice.

Hopefully this entry will pass muster.

Welcome rcwells....Hell yeah it passes muster. As long as it's not politics or religion I think just about anything will pass. Sounds like a good day, Sam Adams and blades. I like to see some pics when your knives arrive.

Crap, we have to pass muster? Wait, is there a test? :eek:

I love fall as well, and winter. Sounds like you had a busy day, enjoy the beer and yeah, nothing will ever beat Audrey .

Good post and Welcome:thumbup:

Back