Purple! Because Ice cream has no bones!

Oh, my! I need to win Powerball.

If anybodys interested in some Cabernet (dark red) Paperstone let me know. The folks at Paperstone saw our Bowie on Instagram and sent a big slab of 1.25". It could work for a full handle, spacers or scales, PM me and I'll get some cut up.

Good day to run the forge.
hrMylUR.jpg

Too funny, I really want to make one of those for the wife. Been looking at them all week.

Is that the Mesquite burl? That looks amazing.
Yes, pics dont do it justice. It was a small piece so I tried to make it look like a bone handle. Still need to work on my soldering skills :oops:

Wish I could help you there, I haven't got the hang of soldering yet. It'll be a breeze on one and a nightmare on the next. I got some heat paste so I can focus on the joint more instead of worrying about the temper.. It creates a little more work but gives some peace of mind. I've checked the blade with an IR after the solder flows and it's never reached 90 degrees. Completely unnecessary for a skilled solderer, but that, I m definitely not!

I can sweat plumbing no problem, i cleaned the guard and steel to the point you could eat off it. Fluxed the bejesus out of it and still couldn't get it flow properly. Its attached but not real pretty. Even using good silver solder.

Two things that I've noticed that might not help one single bit but I'll throw it out there.
It seems like the guard can act like a weird heat sink if it's thick, I usually hit that with the torch a bit especially on the finger extension, might help things flow or not. I also hit the solder wire with sandpaper before I start to clean it up. Once again, I suck at soldering but thought I'd throw that out there.

Thanks, I'll keep them in mind next time. I think part of my problem was is there was too big of a gap in the guard, had it been a little tighter it probably would have taken the solder better.

Back