Purple! Because Ice cream has no bones!

That is wild! Scott is the "Bocote Master", just don't call him BM!:eek:

That cutting board is insane. His work is beyond comprehension. I spend so much time ogling my cutting boards I forget what I'm supposed to be cutting.

Insane is right, and I can see why you get distracted! My wife thinks we'd be crazy to use it as a cutting board, but that's what it was made for. So amazingly beautiful though! :cool:

That is wild! Scott is the "Bocote Master", just don't call him BM!:eek:

Lol! :D All you guys are awesome! :thumbsup:

Beautiful maple in 3 nice sized blocks and a set of scales. Pictures don't do these maple blocks justice, if they shimmer off the bandsaw, that's a pretty good sign! A big shout out to the woodman Dopic1 Dopic1 Thank you Scott! These have hidden tang written all over them, I've done through tangs, but never a hidden.

20181101_143814-01.jpeg
20181101_144701-01.jpeg

Beautiful maple in 3 nice sized blocks and a set of scales. Pictures don't do these maple blocks justice, if they shimmer off the bandsaw, that's a pretty good sign! A big shout out to the woodman Dopic1 Dopic1 Thank you Scott! These have hidden tang written all over them, I've done through tangs, but never a hidden.

View attachment 1012914
View attachment 1012915
To avoid any bad jokes....
that's some nice lumber right there!!:thumbsup:

A better photo of Scott's handiwork. This thing is really difficult to photograph properly. I can't get it to "pop" quite right in the indirect light, but the more direct late afternoon light isn't quite right either. Argh! :confused:

One thing that strikes me about this pattern is how, to my eye, it looks so much different sideways versus up and down. o_O :cool:

IMG_3257.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

A better photo of Scott's handiwork. This thing is really difficult to photograph properly. I can't get it to "pop" quite right in the indirect light, but the more direct late afternoon light isn't quite right either. Argh! :confused:

One thing that strikes me about this pattern is how, to my eye, it looks so much different sideways versus up and down. o_O :cool:

View attachment 1012933

View attachment 1012934
Just amazingly dazzling!
You could frame it and hang it in your living room.

View attachment 1012933

View attachment 1012934
Jared those are some awesome pictures!

View attachment 1012914
View attachment 1012915
You're welcome John can't wait to see what you do with these, I'm sure it will be amazing!

I see your 12 and raise you 3!
Tell us more of this Randally goodness. You can't use a picture like that as a prop and just walk away!

Is this one of those pictures you stare at and then things pop out of it?

(Remember those dumb things?)

LOL! ;) Probaby depends on how long you stare... o_O Yeah, I remember those, I had one on my wall for awhile. My mom hated it! She couldn't ever get it to "pop". :rolleyes:

Fixerized! :D

Old:
IMG_3257.jpg

New:
IMG_3257.jpg

Old:
IMG_3257.jpg

New:
IMG_3257.jpg

Last edited:
Thas' mo bettah. Yous wins da prize for most improved player. :thumbsup:

John asked for more info on the RMK; being that he hand carried it back to me from the Blade Show West in Portland, fondled it for a tad around 1:30 am, was enthralled a bit (that's the right word, right?), and asked politely - I'll indulge.

The Randall Made Knives 'Shop' was, for the most part, a hobbyist pastime when founded by W.D. 'Bo Randall in 1937. Mostly exploratory stuff, knives for friends and whatnot, until WWII broke out. Bo was well-to-do and well connected, but his knife business, Fighting knives for Fighting men, didn't really kick off until mid 1943; two years and several thousand knives later; with his shop now built and staffed, the war ended.

Knife making was a passion for Bo Randall, although with the family holdings in real estate, cattle, and orange groves, the income wasn't needed; but, making knives was his passion, and keeping his shop open was his desire. The immediate post-war years were really slow (according to RMK historian and archivist, Bob Gaddis); sales of war/battle/fighting knives had dropped to just a hair over nothing.

Thus, the Randall shop needed to diversify, and so they did, into outdoors/hunting/field knives. Gaddis writes that 1946 through 1948 was really slow time for RMK, with new models introduced, but few sales. They almost went under. During the years following, sales began to pick up, and with the onset of the Korean Conflict in 1950, the realization was made that not only does war never truly end, but RMK makes some damn nice fixed blade knives, for use in fighting, or other purposes.

The knife shown above is a Randall Model #7 'Fisherman-Hunter' with a 4.5" blade. Seeing the writing on the wall, RMK was shifting towards other-than-fighting knives by mid 1945, and introduced this model in their newest catalog then; based on known characteristics introduction dates, the knife shown above was made circa 1946 - it's an early one. The kicker is, as a tool, this tool somehow survived 70+ years without getting used other than as intended.

7-4.5BBH_2.jpg

(Thanks John. That was a mouthful for a two finger typist such as myself; hopefully it was on point)... :thumbsup:

Thas' mo bettah. Yous wins da prize for most improved player. :thumbsup:

John asked for more info on the RMK; being that he hand carried it back to me from the Blade Show West in Portland, fondled it for a tad around 1:30 am, was enthralled a bit (that's the right word, right?), and asked politely - I'll indulge.

The Randall Made Knives 'Shop' was, for the most part, a hobbyist pastime when founded by W.D. 'Bo Randall in 1937. Mostly exploratory stuff, knives for friends and whatnot, until WWII broke out. Bo was well-to-do and well connected, but his knife business, Fighting knives for Fighting men, didn't really kick off until mid 1943; two years and several thousand knives later; with his shop now built and staffed, the war ended.

Knife making was a passion for Bo Randall, although with the family holdings in real estate, cattle, and orange groves, the income wasn't needed; but, making knives was his passion, and keeping his shop open was his desire. The immediate post-war years were really slow (according to RMK historian and archivist, Bob Gaddis); sales of war/battle/fighting knives had dropped to just a hair over nothing.

Thus, the Randall shop needed to diversify, and so they did, into outdoors/hunting/field knives. Gaddis writes that 1946 through 1948 was really slow time for RMK, with new models introduced, but few sales. They almost went under. During the years following, sales began to pick up, and with the onset of the Korean Conflict in 1950, the realization was made that not only does war never truly end, but RMK makes some damn nice fixed blade knives, for use in fighting, or other purposes.

The knife shown above is a Randall Model #7 'Fisherman-Hunter' with a 4.5" blade. Seeing the writing on the wall, RMK was shifting towards other-than-fighting knives by mid 1945, and introduced this model in their newest catalog then; based on known characteristics introduction dates, the knife shown above was made circa 1946 - it's an early one. The kicker is, as a tool, this tool somehow survived 70+ years without getting used other than as intended.

View attachment 1013192

(Thanks John. That was a mouthful for a two finger typist such as myself; hopefully it was on point)... :thumbsup:
You really should write a book on the subject...

Back