Purple! Because Ice cream has no bones!

Nice work, Ray, Ash is where it's at!

From the 'Ashes to ashes, dust to dust' files - some years ago, we were paged out for a 'Deer in the river' FD call. Why we were called is beyond me, but yes, there was a deer that had broken through the ice on the river. We don't save deer in rivers because, well, because they'll kick your butt with their hooves. A sheriff's deputy showed up and shot the deer in the head, killing it and causing it to sink below the ice and drift away. The deer-hugger that called us was apoplectic, but that's another story.

Point being, I turned to fellow FF Traci Mayhood, owner of Tree Image cabinetry, winner of 'Best Kitchen Cabinetry' three of the four years she'd entered our local Parade of Homes annual custom home builders showcase competition. I dead-panned that it was a shame she couldn't build furniture, as I needed some. She responded that she could build anything I needed - so, off to my house we went.

With an idea in hand, and a pallet of Ash from a project that had recently fallen through, she built this custom bedroom ensemble. Fair priced and delivered in short order, it was built to my taste. I found a black oyster button whilst hiking and asked that she try to match it for the drawer pulls; she nailed it. It's a small room, so all the furniture was down-sized ~10% to fit. The drawer slides suck in and drop down once nudged in. Super happy with Traci's work. Ash... :thumbsup:

View attachment 1066650 View attachment 1066651 View attachment 1066652

More ASH on the pile. I made up the little side tables. These also came out a bit different than as drawn but I like them. Finishes up the woodwork. Now the shopper in the family needs to line up some lamps and some bedside carpets. I might get hijacked into a small wardrobe - but likely that wouldn't be before next winter.

... and Melvin-Purvis Melvin-Purvis - "She responded that she could build anything I needed..." is pretty much my attitude too Shel, at least, when it comes to woodworking. Cool about making up a custom pull inspired by a found item. You have a nice set there! :thumbsup:

Ray

Here are our finishing touches -

View attachment 1066906

View attachment 1066907

View attachment 1066909

Very nice work, Shel and Ray! Kickin' ash and taken names! (what? Someone had to say it:D)
But both projects came out very cool! Love ash for furniture!:cool::thumbsup:

Here's the start of my project, mostly demo and set the hearth today. 700lb piece of PA blue stone then build cabinets on either side of the hearth. Then the mason comes in and faces the fireplace with stone. Then new hardwood flooring, man home ownership is a blast!:p
UpSAj2M.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the start of my project, mostly demo and set the hearth today. 700lb piece of PA blue stone then build cabinets on either side of the hearth. Then the mason comes in and faces the fireplace with stone. Then new hardwood flooring, man home ownership is a blast!:p
UpSAj2M.jpg
Look forward to your finished project. You've done a lot since last week!:thumbsup:

...as long as it's not a BLAST OFF! Have fun. Like you (kind of) - we are looking forward to see it all done.
Steady on Mate.

Ray

Man, did it ever! Nice work Ray, really well done. I've never seen hanging end tables, that's a nice touch. :cool:

I'm the guy who does the vacuum cleaning, so everything off the floor or hard to it. ;)
Only took 2 screws per cabinet to the wall. :)

Thanks for the kudos.

Ray

If for some bizarre reason you don't have 'New Thread' Notifications turned on for this incredibly amazing subforum, there is something new HERE

Happy birthday, Scott. I hope you and your wonderful wood have a great day.

Happy Birthday Scott. Good timing on your part - John's been giving away gifts.
How might you like a diminutive Bullnose? :)

All the best.

Ray

Cool!
I suspect you have seen them in action, especially if you've been to NTC. They're monsters when you see them up close and personal, especially if you're the OPFOR.:cool::thumbsup:
Ohhh yes, an unforgettable sound not to mention the 500 pounders!

The advances in electric brushless motors and Lithium Ion batteries has made R/C flying more accessible and somewhat more affordable. Great time to get into it. But the FAA getting their hands into one of my hobbies isn't my idea of a good thing. o_O

Back