Purple! Because Ice cream has no bones!

Thanks guys! I'm sure I'll love it (and I'll keep you in mind Mack if I decide to part with it for any reason).

He said he's unfortunately become allergic to the Cocobolo (pretty common with Rosewoods in general), and this is the last time he's working with it, so there's that. With this being an 8", I'd still kind of like to get a smaller 6" at some point, so I'll be watching his offerings closely from now on. Can't wait to get it in-hand! :)
I haunt the exchange for certain knife makers' stuff. Phillip Patton, GL Drew, Bill Siegle etc.
Their knives really tend to fit my eye and I "like" the posts to remind myself to look again in case I can buy it.
Mr Drew has a recurve up that for some crazy reason hasn't sold yet and my credit card is itching.

I haunt the exchange for certain knife makers' stuff. Phillip Patton, GL Drew, Bill Siegle etc.
Their knives really tend to fit my eye and I "like" the posts to remind myself to look again in case I can buy it.
Mr Drew has a recurve up that for some crazy reason hasn't sold yet and my credit card is itching.

I've seen his stuff before, and I like it a lot! :cool: But I didn't know until a couple days ago that he made filet knives too! :oops: Looking at some of his past work, hooooooo boy! :eek: I really like some of his 6" pattern welded Damascus ones! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My filet knife arrived, and I'm happy to report, the Cocobolo has surpassed my expectations. :cool: :thumbsup:

IMG_3938.jpg

IMG_3939.jpg

IMG_3940.jpg

IMG_3941.jpg

IMG_3942.jpg

This wood is hard to photograph. Camera refused to focus on it, which is unusual. Went fishing this morning, but no keepers to filet when I came home to the box, unfortunately. :( Another day... :rolleyes:

Cocobolo is some magical stuff, the first time it was on a knife for Chris. As long as you're not allergic to it and don't mind the smell, it's a dream to work with and finishes like glass. I can imagine what yours looks like in person, bet it's a looker!

guess-what-i-got-a-fever-and-the-only-prescription-is-more-cowbell.jpg

Today is the 19th anniversary of the airing of the famous, catch phrase coining, cowbell skit on the once funny Saturday Night Live.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-...-on-snl-video-saturday-night-live-nbc/3506001

:DPay attention and brace yourself, Jared. This is going to be completely irrelevant and won't change the way you sleep at night...

*long exhale* That skit is what started it all.

(Please don't think of less of me for re-gifting, John. It escalated in an way I never imagined. )

My long time friend and coworker, Ron L Ron L whom, who? Whom? Whatever... worked on the opposite side of a wall from me were at lunch one day. We were discussing the cowbell skit and I was laughing my a** off. I thought it was comic gold.

I'm a big Christopher Walken fan and a bit of a Jimmy Fallon (the man is a saint. I can elaborate later) fan I thought the skit was hilarious. Probably the only Will Farrel work I can stand to watch (he plays the same toddler in everything he does).

One day Ron presented me with a birthday gift. My very own cowbell. There might have been a six pack of Bells Two Hearted Ale in the bag too. That's nunya bitness.

Needless to say, my wife got tired of it in three minutes and seven seconds flat. From that point on, it collected dust.

As a giveaway in the place that shall not be named, I offered up the cowbell as a second or third prize, I don't remember. It wasn't the grand prize. A boobie prize in the literal sense at best.

Low and behold, the poor bastid and non- grand prize winning Redmeadow Knives Redmeadow Knives won the annoying, tiny tin trapezoid of noiseiness and I felt bad for him.

Yes. Felt bad but, I sent it anyway ;).

I don't think he was expecting an actual musical cowbell and I don't think his fantastic bride has had to deal with him marching around the house like Spinner from Death to Smoochy banging the cowbell like a tone deaf, punch drunk moron with the timing of a wooden watch but, he accepted it, mounted it in his shop and built an empire around it.

Long live the Clan of the Cowbell and forever may it's knell be heard. :cool:

That's awesome Chris! Fitting spot in a fitting thread for the story, too. :cool: :thumbsup:

Fwiw, I've had this weird rusted-looking metal cowbell wind chime hanging everywhere we've lived since not long after my wife and I got married nearly 22 years ago. It was a gift from the slightly weird :rolleyes: mother of her sister's then husband. It's from somewhere in Tibet, iirc. Has a nice tone, and I like it for some strange reason. The wind vane has been fixed too many times, but it still works. The wood clacker (clearly I don't know the correct terms here, lmao) is still original, but is nearly worn through at the edge of the bell. I'll have to post a picture of it later...

ETA - My bell looks very much like these, specifically the one on the far right for size:

IMG_3956.jpg

Difference is, mine is very, VERY oxidized/corroded/patina'd, and looks like rust from being out in the elements for over 20 years... Thinking back more about it, I might have been who added the wind vane part to make it into a wind chime. Lol.

Last edited:
The wood clacker (clearly I don't know the correct terms here, lmao)...

:DPay attention and brace yourself, Jared. This is going to be completely irrelevant and won't change the way you sleep at night...

(Please don't think of less of me for re-gifting, John. It escalated in an way I never imagined. )

My long time friend and coworker, Ron L Ron L whom, who? Whom? Whatever... worked on the opposite side of a wall from me were at lunch one day. We were discussing the cowbell skit and I was laughing my a** off. I thought it was comic gold.

I'm a big Christopher Walken fan and a bit of a Jimmy Fallon (the man is a saint. I can elaborate later) fan I thought the skit was hilarious. Probably the only Will Farrel work I can stand to watch (he plays the same toddler in everything he does).

One day Ron presented me with a birthday gift. My very own cowbell. There might have been a six pack of Bells Two Hearted Ale in the bag too. That's nunya bitness.

Needless to say, my wife got tired of it in three minutes and seven seconds flat. From that point on, it collected dust.

As a giveaway in the place that shall not be named, I offered up the cowbell as a second or third prize, I don't remember. It wasn't the grand prize. A boobie prize in the literal sense at best.

Low and behold, the poor bastid and non- grand prize winning Redmeadow Knives Redmeadow Knives won the annoying, tiny tin trapezoid of noiseiness and I felt bad for him.

I don't think he was expecting an actual musical cowbell and I don't think his fantastic bride has had to deal with him marching around the house like Spinner from Death to Smoochy banging the cowbell like a tone deaf, punch drunk moron with the timing of a wooden watch but, he accepted it, mounted it in his shop and built an empire around it.

Greatest Story Ever Told! True at that!

Having been up for about 31 hours and having quite the crappy week, that was a much needed trip down memory lane.

However, when I won the boobie prize, I was happy as a clam. I mounted the bell to my grinders base plate and we joked that we'd have knives with more cowbell. Corny, but a lot of fun. Even though it was the boobie prize I felt like a thank you was in order and sent Rupestris Rupestris a tiny 5" OAL knife and made a miniature steel Cowbell for the lanyard. Later, maybe during the Corsair run (?) the tiny cowbell came up and I think Mack said something about making one for each knife. I asked Chris for the ok and Operation MackenRupe was born.

The funny thing is that every knife gets at least a few taps on the Cowbell after I grind them, I'm ridiculously sentimental? Superstitious? Maybe just Goofy. At a minimum, loyal to tradition!

Lmao, this is comic gold! Built an empire around it! Well yeah that's true and I'm lucky enough to own several handmade bells. This needs to be a sticky on the Redmeadow/Hanson page.

Many times have I heard the phrase, “ dammit, see what you started!”

Many times have I heard the phrase, “ dammit, see what you started!”

Pablo! Honey!

Welcome to the Redmeadow subforum. Stick around. The folks here are some of the best that BF has to offer.

To the Magnificent Seven+, Ron is a gentleman and a scholar. I've worked with him for 25 years. We've watched each other's kids grow up, camped, hunt, tubed the Sturgeon river, fished, drank, BBQ'd, and family functioned with each other for all of those 25 years. I'd give him the shirt off my back.

My only issue with him is that he has a beautiful Terry Hearn knife that he won't turn over to me for safe keeping. ;)

Nice to meet you, Ron L Ron L .
I hope you brought your sense of humor. You'll need it around these guys.

Pablo! Honey!

Welcome to the Redmeadow subforum. Stick around. The folks here are some of the best that BF has to offer.

To the Magnificent Seven+, Ron is a gentleman and a scholar. I've worked with him for 25 years. We've watched each other's kids grow up, camped, hunt, tubed the Sturgeon river, fished, drank, BBQ'd, and family functioned with each other for all of those 25 years. I'd give him the shirt off my back.

My only issue with him is that he has a beautiful Terry Hearn knife that he won't turn over to me for safe keeping. ;)

Thanks for the kind words Rupe, er... Chris.... er... whoever.

Yep, we’ve been friends like forever. Many a time, I heard pounding in the next office. It was only Chris banging his head on his desk, weeping uncontrollably.

Chris, about the Hearn - I told you you’re in my will. Since I’m probably worth more dead than alive, you’ll have to talk to Renee if you want it sooner than later. And sorry, all the guns in the safe are spoken for.

Thanks for the welcome folks. Don’t worry about my sense of humor. I was married to my ex-wife for 21 years. You guys don’t scare me.

Back