Put my cat down yesterday and

fishface5

Gold Member
My beloved cat of 12 years had sinus cancer. I kept him going on meds for way longer than the vet expected, but yesterday it was time. For a bunch of reasons I couldn't do it through a vet. So I drugged him and then shot him with a 22 while he was basking in the sun.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS! First of all I didn't get him in the brain stem so it wasn't instantaneous. A very upsetting couple of seconds although I doubt he felt much pain. But what I wasn't expecting was the emotional complications. He hated strangers so I thought a quick unseen kill by me would be better for him, and no vet was easily available. I didn't feel bad until after pulling the trigger, because now instead of missing the cat I loved, and cherishing our lost bond, I feel like his betrayer and executioner. The rational reasons for what I did don't have any emotional power after the fact. I had no idea how awful I would feel. . .

Anyway just putting this out there for anyone who finds themselves in the same situation. It really really sucks.

So sorry to hear this, fishface! Please be gentle with yourself and know you tried to do the best thing. We don't always know what the outcome will be, we just do our best.

I had to shoot one of my parent's dogs when the time came. It's hard to not think that you are "betraying" them but we have to remember that they are suffering and depend on us to help them in all things.

Stay strong.

Very sorry for your loss!

We had two cats from the shelter that had FIP (we did not know it when we got them. One died very fast in her sleep, but had to put the other down and a vet did it.
We still felt like shit and hated ourselves for a while. We both still remember the pain and tear up occasionally.

You still did the right thing. That death was way more merciful than a drawn out disease.

We planted two roses on their graves and they flourish like no others in the garden.
You will remember the good things and the wonderful moments, I wish you all the strength you need!

As tough as it is, you did right by the animal. I’ve done the same thing with our dogs, and while it sucks, at least he didn’t spend his last time on this planet on a cold table in an unfamiliar place.

My condolences to you fish. It is never easy putting a pet down. Like others have said, you did the right thing.

We had 2 cats years ago. One got a thyroid issue, and was kinda losing it. He started having trouble jumping, eyesight was going, and would forget where the cat box was. It was really messy and bad for him.

The other was our little girl. She got a tumor in her mouth, and it was going to be really tough to treat. She was also leaving messy tumor discharge everywhere and started having trouble eating. We ended up putting both cats down, even though they were still "there". We felt super guilty about putting them down, but they were both suffering.

It sounds like you went above and beyond to try and help your cat, and you obviously loved and cared about him. Try not to beat yourself up too bad. What you did, you did out of love for your pet.

We had dogs on two separate occasions that were dying in the late night hours and we did shoot those. Both were suffering greatly and to wait for a vet to do the job would have been hours away. It was unpleasant and yet the right thing to do. Just like many things are in life. The results were the same as it would have been had a vet injected them. Probably much faster if anything. Sometimes letting something suffer just isn't an option.

Condolences brother. Not an easy thing to do but much better then letting him suffer to death. Don't beat yourself up. You did the best anyone could do.

I am very sorry that you had such traumatic experience. What is more important is that your heart was in the right place. Don’t beat yourself up.

You did the right thing - he's not suffering with cancer any more, and is happier now. Grieve your cat's death, and try to forget about the few seconds of panic when you realized your method didn't work completely as planned. I feel for you brother - been there and it's never nice.

We put down our 15yr old cat down recently, just Zoe, little common short hair cat, nothing remarkable really.

Balled my eyes out for the first time in..20 years. I feel your pain and if you need anything your cat buds are here for you <3

my deepest sympathy.
its never easy saying good bye to "family".
let alone to be the one
who has to make "the arrangements".
suffering is never pleasant.
your heart guided your actions.
so let the happier times
live on in fond memory.
for your beloved companion
now rest peacefully in a better place.

Back