The Puukko

Hawkhead

You should try the Helle laminated stainless blades.
This is one I crafted a good while back; reshaped/tapered the blade from back side. Walnut handle with brass spacers; Swedish sheath remodeled and stained.
I know not a "true" puukko, but pure Nordic.

Rich

Last edited:
Hawkhead

You should try the Helle laminated stainless blades.
This is one I crafted a good while back; reshaped/tapered the blade from back side. Walnut handle with brass spacers; Swedish sheath remodeled and stained.
I know not a "true" puukko, but pure Nordic.

Rich
Thanks for the suggestion. BTW your knife turned out well.

Latest puukko just completed yestrday. Lauri 105mm blade reprofiled and reground and shortened to 100mm with a beveled spine. Handle made from Australian brown Mallee, ebony bolster and endcap with red fiber spacers.

Last edited:
Kaukava style Puukko from Finland; look circa 1950-70. Nice knives - have a bunch of them. Be sure you know how sharpen a Scandi blade. There were/are several dozen possible makers; Iisakki Jarvenpaa was one of the most prolific manufacturers.

Need better pictures, preferably not on Pinterest too. Use a hosting site like IMGUR. There are makers names on the blade if its legible.
im not sure how to post without using an html! ill try to figure it out! I can barely read what's on the blade I would like to try and clean them properly to check it out

im not sure how to post without using an html! ill try to figure it out! I can barely read what's on the blade I would like to try and clean them properly to check it out

Read this-

Fourth Tommi puukko. After Liukko, Käpylä and Tikkanen, now it's time for Pekka Oinonen.
_20210610_171726-jpg.1253276

hawkhead hawkhead - Sorry to take up this photo and Puukko info thread for such a question but you aren't someone I can send a PM, so I ask here. Maybe for the benefit of others too. You can PM to me or EMAIL HERE
to keep the thread uncluttered with shop talk. I can edit out all the text and post a puukko photo instead. :)

I see you use Y Puronvarsi blanks on occasion and quite successfully. They end up as beautiful knives - AND - with metal bolsters.
:thumbsup:
I'm working on my 2nd rehandling of a YP blade and for the 2nd time I am being beat up by the condition of the tang, in particular where it meets the shoulders of the blade. :mad: On both of my projects the grind from the blade to the tang was inconsistent - you might say casual. The blade polish - the shiny bit - goes up onto the tang that and there it is considerably thinner than the rest of the tang and then from there, the tang has no consistent thickness or straight edges. The blade shoulders are crooked too. Try as I might to fit a bronze bolster to these blanks I am completely defeated by the extra thin shiny area at the beginning of the tang that creates a hollow. :( I get fitted nicely with no gaps to within the last 1/8" or so of the shoulders and then the blade thickness falls away and I have a hole.

I don't have equipment to reshape the tangs other than some hand files. I do have a grinder but would need a serious jig to allow me to control the thickness. Nonetheless I hand file as much as I can but I simply can't take the entire tang down to the minimal thickness of that hollow area. I end up using a wood "bolster" with epoxy and wood slivers filling the gap(s). Looks OK but not the job of a pro. I think the YP blades don't allow precision work but then I see yours :cool: and I am suitably humbled. I did a recent birch bark handle with bronze bolster on an Ethan Goss blank (there's a photo of it somewhere in this thread) and that was a cake walk by comparison to the YPs. Came out beautifully (so I think). :)

Any secrets you might care to share - other than get more equipment or use other blanks?

Thanks much.

Last edited:
Kaukava style Puukko from Finland; look circa 1950-70. Nice knives - have a bunch of them. Be sure you know how sharpen a Scandi blade. There were/are several dozen possible makers; Iisakki Jarvenpaa was one of the most prolific manufacturers.
Yup, looks like a Kauhava style puukko but the handle is interesting. Most traditional Kauhava styled Puukko knives have birch bark handles.

Yup, looks like a Kauhava style puukko but the handle is interesting. Most traditional Kauhava styled Puukko knives have birch bark handles.
No, no they don't. Birchbark is used on some, but many have curly or Karelian birch handles. The blue one in that picture is either galalith or bakelite, fairly common handle materials on many Kauhavan knives from the early and mid 20th century.

Birchwood handles from Jarvenpaa
ZYOH38Nh.jpg

Galalith from Kauhavan Puukkotehdas
QXhL8vKh.jpg

No, no they don't. Birchbark is used on some, but many have curly or Karelian birch handles. The blue one in that picture is either galalith or bakelite, fairly common handle materials on many Kauhavan knives from the early and mid 20th century.

Birchwood handles from Jarvenpaa
ZYOH38Nh.jpg

Galalith from Kauhavan Puukkotehdas
QXhL8vKh.jpg
Sorry, I think I could've worded my message better. I meant that birch bark handle is the most traditional choice to me and probably to other Finns too. Beatiful knives by the way! Are they yours?

Here is the finished result of putting a handle on that YP blade blank referenced above.
The handle is comprised of ENGLISH ELM with a band of JATOBA set into a bronze band. I intended to use a solid bronze bolster but as I wrote above the hollows in the tang just behind the shoulders precluded any chance of getting a tight fit without taking the entire bolster to ridiculously thin. I settled for making up the Jatoba (it is a solid hard wood) set into a bronze band. Got the look of a metal bolster but it is really just a collar. This allowed me to fit the jatoba very closely and then fill in the final gap with epoxy. Wasn't happy but it was the best I could do. I must say it is a very humbling task. All the more, as I do these, I admire the work of others posting here so very much.

Last edited:
Here is the finished result of putting a handle on that YP blade blank referenced above.
The handle is comprised of ENGLISH ELM with a band of JATOBA set into a bronze band. I intended to use a solid bronze bolster but as I wrote above the hollows in the tang just behind the shoulders precluded any chance of getting a tight fit without taking the entire bolster to ridiculously thin. I settled for making up the Jatoba (it is a solid hard wood) set into a bronze band. Got the look of a metal bolster but it is really just a collar. This allowed me to fit the jatoba very closely and then fill in the final gap with epoxy. Wasn't happy but it was the best I could do.

New PUUKKO :thumbsup:

View attachment 1599047

View attachment 1599048

CLOSE up of the Jatoba fit to the blade.

View attachment 1599049

Handle detail ~ Unconventional approach but what do I know, I'm a woodworker not a knife maker. :)

I carved out for the tang into the 2 halves before I glued them together. When cut to length the tang slid in with minimal adjustment. :cool:

View attachment 1599050

Here is the block ~

View attachment 1599051

Collar detail - pre assembly. After the fact I'm still trying to decide if a bright shiny bronze collar is better than the forced patina version. I might do a rework. ;)

View attachment 1599054

I like the feel of this knife and the blade (if not the tang) is very good.
Nice looking knife!

Back