The Puukko

I have two Puukos. I only have a pic of one at hand, my Hackman Tapio Wirkalla. I've had these for decades. Have no idea of the original cost anymore.

100_3128.jpg
the Tapio was $50.00 from Early Winters or somewhere similar

the Tapio was $50.00 from Early Winters or somewhere similar
I'm pretty sure it was less. In that time period, I didn't have $50 to spend on a knife. Might have been $30.
I think Brookstone, was the name of the outfit I bought it from. They were a catalog company that at the time mostly specialized in high end woodworking tools.
Early Winters did high end camping gear and sports equipment. I used to get their catalog, but it was too pricey for me.

The Brookstone catalogues are what caught my Tapio Wirkalla drool. I think they were around $30, but still more than I had.

RayseM,
Sorry for not answering promptly. I have not been on this thread since my last posting. Puronvarsi blades are all hand forged and therefore all different. The tangs can be problematic. I regrind the tang to get as straight as possible, usually reprofile the blade and straighten each surface on the 2x72 then hand sand.

I Invoice What are your impressions so far on the birch bark handle ?
I have one custom that I really like. I can use it hard on debarking staves for walking staffs, very comfortable and versatile.
c0OHZkw.jpg
Rob, I've not used it yet. But it really does feel good in the hand.
That's a beauty you have there. How did you acquire it?
Neal

Neal,
It was a custom order, I wanted a thicker and longer handle with a 3 3/4" blade. Great guy to work with and a very talented maker. I had to buy a diamond stone to sharpen the CPM 4V, it came to me dry shaving sharp and gets very sharp on the 1000 grit followed up by stropping on 3000 grit diamond spray. Hope you enjoy your new puukko !
Thanks
Rob, I've not used it yet. But it really does feel good in the hand.
That's a beauty you have there. How did you acquire it?
Neal

Hawkhead

Nice work as usual. I like the top one very much. Not a fan of the lower style (partial tang exposed) seems incomplete, it's a legit style, well executed - just not my style. :) Rich

Hawkhead

Nice work as usual. I like the top one very much. Not a fan of the lower style (partial tang exposed) seems incomplete, it's a legit style, well executed - just not my style. :) Rich

Thanks for commenting Rich. Both the Kokemaen and Maasepan styles are very simple working knives. Blades were usually made from old files with short tangs. They do take some getting used to. I like to make them once in a while as a change of pace.

My latest puukko project. 80mm Lauri blade slight reprofile, hand polish, Scotch-Brite gray satin finish. Handle is padauk with ebony spacer, lightly peened 3mm brass bolster and ebony endcap. Simple scabbord sheath with fixed belt loop. Turned out to be a nice little EDC.

Last edited:
Back