The Puukko

Thanks Christian, that helped a lot. Off to the bush to harvest bark ;-)

Best regards

Robin

IMG_1357.jpg

Nice article, thanks for posting that Christian.

Robin, I posted earlier a picture of a knife I handled with birch bark from here in Wisconsin. Most birches that you have in Canada will have the same thickness of bark. I try to find a tree that has recently fallen or been cut to take the bark from. If you look for a tree that has been blown down or cut, you can experiment a little without worry of injuring a live tree. Aim to cut about 2 mm deep.
-Brian

And here's an oldie from the 50's that the relatives from Norway gave to my brother. He gave it to me last year as a gift. Talk about a knife with some character. The thing screams cool. It's also the sharpest knife I own.

IMG_2437_zps04c7e270.jpg

IMG_2439_zps8c01219f.jpg

IMG_2438_zps3f73afeb.jpg

Here's my first Birch bark handle, almost finished. I Love this amazing material in the hand, feels much like Cork. Thanks for the link and the inspiration folks.

Best regards

Robin
8602102927_b95c7a4d81.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Nice work Robin! Did you end up using glue? Are you putting any finish on or leaving it?
-Brian

Nice work Robin! Did you end up using glue? Are you putting any finish on or leaving it?
-Brian

Hi Brian.
I put the lightest touch of linseed oil on the bark to make it that colour and used no glue just the oven heat. It does compress more than I thought it would both before the heat and after. I've been wanting to do one of these for quite a while but always passed after thinking about coating 80 layers with epoxy. They are actually a lot faster and easier than doing a multi piece handle.

Best regards

Robin

Super work, Robin! Looking forward to hearing and seeing more about it.

Hi Gev, thanks. ;-)
I just finished a new style (for me) sheath for the knife, I'll post it in your "just a picture" thread after the light gets better outside so I can get a pic or two.
Best regards

Robin

Here is my first Birch bark handle and my first sheath of this style. My reference is all in Swedish so I'm not 100% on the origins of this style of capped sheath or whether it has a specific name, maybe someone will know. These were worn as a belt knife but I thought I'd make the thong longer for a neck knife.
The sheath is oil tanned leather covering a wooden sheath, the cap slides through slots in the side of the cap and the top of the actual sheath. The blade is a Lauri 95mmx20mm.

Best regards

Robin
8605329775_a9a66abe8b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
8606432072_bc0cacb33e.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
8606430770_285b58272f.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Very, very nice work. Sheath is pretty cool, and work great at protecting the knife. I really want a puukko in birch bark, but all the factory offerings seem to come with shorter handles than I like. Can't afford a custom at the moment.

Great looking knife & sheath.

Thanks Utah, I appreciate your comment very much.

Halfneck. It really isn't hard to work with and a really good blade is reasonable. I'd be more than happy to help you through the project if you'd like to make one for your self. I can send you Birch bark if you don't have it in your area, also give you the contact for blades. Believe me, I have very basic tools so you don't need any fancy equipment. Message me if you'd like to try one.

Best regards

Robin

Finnish Boy Scout knife from 60 or more years ago. Blade has a diamond cross-section.

Post WWII, we never had it so good

Edited to replace picture intentionally defaced by slimoids at Photobucket
tvBT12x.png

Last edited:
I'm way past due for jumping into this thread. :)

Roselli UHC Carpenter's. A true blue classic and my go-to puukko. Sharpest knife I own. I woodburned a bear paw print into the butt of it in efforts to make it not so plain-Jane.
04_06_2013_comoha004_zps16f59c15.jpg

04_06_2013_comoha005_zps1dbfb44d.jpg

Roselli Leuku
04_06_2013_comoha003_zps559a1e8e.jpg

Helli Symfoni
Helle_2_zps1305b14f.jpg

Paasso puukko
Paaso_4_zps688def8b.jpg

Brian Andrews - Off The Map Outfitters
3f1f247c-16c5-48a2-9034-b468011eb4ee_zps7fd0ec23.jpg

Brian Andrews - Off The Map barrel handled full-tanged puukko
OTM_02_zps384b0530.jpg