The Puukko

Yrjo Puronvarsi blade with birch bark and walrus...

Puronvarsi295mm6Rjpg_zps4a597543.jpg

Last edited:
I assembled both of the YP blades and also the sheaths. This is my first attempts and I have a lot to learn.

A lot of assembling blades into puukot goes on in Finland and the UK. The UK folks discuss how to/problems encountered at their forum. The Finns may as well, but I can't speak Finn. Fitting the bolster to the blade seems to be a big bugaboo.

Your's look nice. Really like the birch bark. Wonder if Antti would do one?

I did pick through some of the UK sites for tutorials. The fitting of the bolster is very difficult to do and get a close fit. Brass is less forgiving that bone or wood. Antti's forged blades are top notch. The tang took a good bit of work to get it somewhat uniform in thickness and width. It was more work than the bolster.

I don't know if Antti does any of the handle work. I purchased the blades to try assembling them myself. Quite a nice lesson in humility.

Today I found one old blade without handle. So I decided to make those knife a handle. I choosed birch wood for handle material. I used 80 size sandpaper to make some scratches and finished it with 180 size sandpaber and waxed handle, so handle has older/used looking too, like blade. Blade is carbon steel and probably 60-70 or more years old. Blade length is 140mm, thickness is 2,5mm. It`s almost full tang knife: blade overall length was 290mm, blade length with handle is 300mm.

010381439707f12.jpg

Last edited:
I recently got into finishing stick-tang "Scandinavian" blades. It is quite addicting and also quite a bit different than slab scales on full-tang knives...

Attached is my latest work-in-process. This is an Enzo Hunter in O1 - the handle is stabilized Karelian Birch with antique maroon Westinghouse micarta, blue G-10 spacers and a brass bolster. Not very traditional - but I liked the contrast between the birch and the maroon micarta. The handle is finished - I'm still working on polishing out the bevel and bolster. Next, I will start the sheath. I'll post another set of pictures when it gets closer to completion.

My next project is going to be based around a 90mm damascus blade from Poul Strande. He makes beautiful blades...

TedP

To remind that's it not the size that matters:

[video=youtube;lsnChEpyhPc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsnChEpyhPc[/video]

Nice, got to handle one at BLADE. I was glad to see Helle at BLADE this year. Being able to actually handle the knives is important to me. One I liked the looks of did not feel right in my hand. Another that wasn't on my radar, impressed me when I handled it.

Back