The Puukko

2i9s9hk.jpg

Hello
So happy to find this forum and specifically this Puukko thread. Until I found this forum, I thought I was the only person in the world afflicted with this knifeitis disease. I was infected with it 50 years ago when I was 10. Since I grew up very poor, my parents main focus was feeding us. No spare cash for niceties. So, at 10 I set out to make myself a knife. I've been obsessed with knifemaking as a hobby ever since. The last few years, my obsession turned towards Puukko's due to their simplicity and ergonomics. These below are my Pocket Puukko's which I carry on a daily rotation.

If I can ever figure out how to post higher resolution fotos, I have a few more to post

Have a great weekend to all my new friends and best regards from Virginia!

IMG_1198.JPG IMG_1138.JPG

Hello
So happy to find this forum and specifically this Puukko thread. Until I found this forum, I thought I was the only person in the world afflicted with this knifeitis disease. I was infected with it 50 years ago when I was 10. Since I grew up very poor, my parents main focus was feeding us. No spare cash for niceties. So, at 10 I set out to make myself a knife. I've been obsessed with knifemaking as a hobby ever since. The last few years, my obsession turned towards Puukko's due to their simplicity and ergonomics. These below are my Pocket Puukko's which I carry on a daily rotation.
A very nice collection, and WELCOME aboard. :thumbsup:

Hello

If I can ever figure out how to post higher resolution fotos, I have a few more to post

Have a great weekend to all my new friends and best regards from Virginia!

View attachment 1118391 View attachment 1118389
Wow !!! so cool and I for one would like to see more !!!!! Love the size and the " sheath " style. Any pictures of a build or works in process ?

Hello

I’m still having problems posting pictures. Probably user error! But, enclosed is an older post. I used to inlet the sheath halves for the blade but now I just epoxy in spacers to create the gap. Much less time consuming. I also epoxy rare earth magnets on the sheath which holds the knife steady and safetly in the sheath.

Hope this helps.

Be Blessed
Torque

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/pursuing-the-perfect-pocket-puukko.1655930/

Thank you Thomas that was truly interesting and lovely to watch. I was completely absorbed.
The end product is a treasure. :thumbsup:

Cheers.

Last edited:
OK - waking this thread up to post puukko photos. This cool slender Ball Pommel Puukko was a PIF pick up from @Spikediesel more than a year ago.

BP-Puukko.jpg

Here is a bit of info from the makers web site -

"The only historical maker of so called Ball Pommel Knives is Iisakki Järvenpää, so he can be thought to be the inventor of this model. Because of this, the collectable knives—made to celebrate anniversaries during the long history of the company—are ball pommel knives. The same applies to the models made every fifth year in honour of Finland’s independence. The Ball Pommel Knife's pommel or upper ferrule is round and made of cast brass. Over the time, handle has been made of many different materials, but today we produce handles of varnished birch bark. Like the others, this traditional model has its origins at the turn of 1880's and 1890's. It has been in uninterrupted production ever since."

I'm pretty certain that this particular knife was intended as an export or tourist model as the blade is inscribed in English - "Made in Finland" with the name Iisakki Järvenpää inscribed in the fuller.

Anyone have more info - I'd love to know.

Made-in-Finland.jpg

STILL - it is well made and detailed. Carbon steel (I think) that holds a very keen edge. Not a make believe knife by any stretch. It is a very fine puukko - in great condition - that has seen some years and some time on someone's belt. Mostly a house knife for me these days. I like it :thumbsup:

BP-Puukko-detail.jpg

Thanks again @Spikediesel :)

Let's see some more puukkos.

Last edited:
Back