Qs + Let's see your EDC fixed blades

The Menace - Zombie Slayer

Ok. This is not currently my EDC... BUT will be if there is ever a Zombie Apocalypse... :)

I'd started a thread asking if I was the only one who didn't currently own a folder, and that resulted in usual claims of how superior folders are for concealment, etc, Regardless, it's a personal pref and there's no right/wrong answer per se, but for those who EDC a fixed blade:

*Have you always done so, or was it a process transitioning from folder to fixed?
For me it was a process... started out edc'ing things like a Delica, PM2, etc. and slowly going larger. Then, I saw the BK24 was going disco... so tried that and liked it a lot. So, I messed with neck knives (Candiru, White River Knucklehead, Brous, etc.). Then, I went discreet belt carry with a Bradford Guardian 3 in 3v and pocket with a Bark River Essential M4 and never looked back.
*Do you tend to go back and forth depending on what you're wearing?
I will fixed blade carry almost exclusively these days regardless of what I am wearing (e.g. if I am in gym shorts I use an ulticlip or pocket carry in a KSF Pocono sheath), unless I feel like a discreet folder or dressier slip joint would be more acceptable in a given situation.
*Why do you prefer a fixed blade for EDC?
I just do... lol. I suppose there are reasons (e.g. you can get heftier blade steels... you don't have to worry about cleaning the internals after messy work... no parts to fail... etc.), but all of those are just excuses unless I am working them hard or doing a specific job with them. I just liked fixed blades!!! Ok ?!?! :D
*What have you found +/- of fixed vs folders for your needs?
Touched on that a little in the previous question. Fixed is dependable... easier maintenance... you can be a lot harder on them... and a lot easier to carry with newer style sheaths, clips, etc. I do still enjoy folders quite a bit, and I do use them a lot as well. I just lean way harder toward fixed.

Make sure to post a pic of your EDC fixed blade(s) with responses!

Will do a line up for you and add it when I get some time later ;)

Lighting kinda sucked when I took the pic. Will see if I can get a better one at some point and swap them.
hHF7Gf5.jpg

Have a Guardian 3/3v and 3.5/m390 that were in that rotation. Selling both soon. 3 was carried a lot, the 3.5 only a few times (just didn't like how the handle was (or wasn't) contoured). Sold the Essential in M4 (mentioned earlier) but will be adding a City Knife to that pic when the preorder comes through. Will also be adding a Dan Tope in that size range soon-ish, and maybe a Screech Owl Critter.

Last edited:
My edc fixed blade story started out as mostly a thought experiment. Basically a hypothetical three day survival kit that you could seamlessly integrate into daily edc.
Here's an example of the stuff in my wallet.
Fire rod, signal mirror, fish hooks, duct tape, ranger bands, etc.
eieMieB.jpg

Other items would include a flashlight, paracord, a pill container on the key chain with water purification tabs, stuff like that. The fixed blade is better in my opinion for a survival situation. My choice was the esee izula stainless steel model without handle scales or a wrap. Easier to clean and keep dry.
It was posted above but, people like pics.
ukoGxxd.jpg

I like it so much I'm rarely without it.

Here is a selection of my fixed EDCs. From top to bottom : Cold Steel Secret Edge, A.G. Russell Woodswalker, EKT Companion, Fred Perrin small Le Bowie, Fred Perrin big Le Bowie. The top two and the bottom two have thin and very slicey blades. All are light enough to be carried as neckers and all (except the big Le Bowie...) are easy and practical to carry in the pocket.

9RCO9Mw.jpg

Here is a selection of my fixed EDCs. From top to bottom : Cold Steel Secret Edge, A.G. Russell Woodswalker, EKT Companion, Fred Perrin small Le Bowie, Fred Perrin big Le Bowie. The top two and the bottom two have thin and very slicey blades. All are light enough to be carried as neckers and all (except the big Le Bowie...) are easy and practical to carry in the pocket.

9RCO9Mw.jpg

I really like the looks/design of the EKT Companion.

Well, I carry a Mora Companion every single day in my work pants, along with the folder of the day.
szQa3uh.jpg

View attachment 1211064
I tried out the Izula but the sheath does not work for me at all, which is a shame since I loved the knife in itself.
If you don’t mind investing a little more into the izula, Armatus makes some very nice sheaths :thumbsup: Use them for my Guardian 3’s.

I really like the looks/design of the EKT Companion.

I thought the same thing. What beautiful lines.

The AG woodswalker is one I've looked at many times, it looks better in that pic than in their catalog.

wassup fellow knife lovers! I personally carry both a fixed and a folder. I work in the property management business where I do everything from accounting work in office and maintenance work around the property, with that being said. Currently I have a Kizer vanguard begleiter as my folder which I love for all fancy things I need to do around the office. For the more heavy duty maintenance side I carry a full sized Gerber Strongarm. I love both knives as they both serve its purpose in my everyday life.

*Have you always done so, or was it a process transitioning from folder to fixed?

some type of knife has always been part of my edc however I have only been wearing a fixed blade for about 2 years. There was definetley a little bit of a break in period to getting used to wearing a 7inch fixed blade. I wear my fixblade at about 4 oclock which sometimes can dig into my side stomach. Because of that I have filed down the inner side of the glass breaker tip of the full tang. This made a huge difference as the knife can occasionally “poke” you however its no longer sharp.

*Do you tend to go back and forth depending on what you're wearing?

Negative my friends. It doesn’t matter if I’m wearing dress up clothes at work or basketball shorts with flipflopps im still wearing my same rig. I like to have consistency with my edc. I have been forced to make some adjustment’s to the sheath of the fixblade to enable it to stick when I’m wearing things such as basketball shorts.

*Why do you prefer a fixed blade for EDC?

“two is one, one is none”. I always carry 2 knifes. One folder, one fixed. For me personally there are more benefits of having one folder and one fixed compared to 2 folders. As previously stated, one folding knife is for more finer and not such heavy duty work versus the fixed blade is for whatever task needs to be done such as Prying (im sorry) cutting through anything hardcore such as pvc pipes, large parts of wood and etc. My fixed blade knife is definetaly the work horse of the group. the knife who i will never hesitate to put to any test.

I cant say i EDC a fixed/unless you count one in the truck...but they sure slice up duck nicely. :)2F2E7314-0924-4703-974A-981BFB30F1A8.jpeg
Ontario Rat LE.

ETA: I do however EDC a fixed all hunt season. Lol. So four months of the year. Haha.

Last edited:
WillB WillB The EKT Companion is a brilliant little knife (this is a Gen 1 : S35VN steel and G10 scales) : light, very strong and the sheath works also well for neck carry (however, the retaining action has weakened over time, I use it exclusively in the pocket now). Easy to disassemble for integral cleaning. It's a three finger grip and a bit thick in the spine. However, due to the lovely hollow grind, it does clean slicing nonetheless (fish and liver on the cutting board) :
dXmnkqF.jpg

Last edited:
bikerector bikerector In my opinion, The A.G. Russell Woodswalker is a must have. It's one of the best designs I have come across. Simple but thoroughly thought out. I'm still surprised by the amount of use I get out of this little blade. It's a comfortable four finger grip (for L hands). And it comes with a leather pocket slip (very practical) and a necker Kydex sheath included in the ridiculously low price. Granted, it's an exclusive slicer, forget prying or whittling walking sticks.

Back