Qualities of a good sword

In assessing a sword for purchase, what qualities should one look for?

Harry

First question is obvious - what is it going to be used for?

Wall hanger, historical re-enactment (and which period?), cutting practice, etc., etc.

There's a lot of different swords out there!

------------------
"..it is foolishness and endless trouble to cast a
stone at every dog that barks at you.."

I agree with Trevor,first you will have to decide is this for display purposes only,or renactment,or you just want a real functional sword?If your looking for display only than there are loads of swords available by Marto, Cas iberia etc. plus many other companies sporting nicely made replicas.Most of these will sport stainless steel blades and while they make good maintenance free wall hangers and could be sharp enough to take off a limb or two,stainless steel is not recommended for use in blades over 12 inches that will be used in renactments or actual use.The stainless steels are generally too brittle and would actually be unsafe in use for a "real" sword.If your looking for a real sword or a sword for renactments give Jim Hrisoulas a try at Salamander Armoury.You can find the link to his website in bladeforums custom maker link section.He is a master at making swords and pattern welded blades(Damascas)You won't find a better made sword at his prices.Also be wary of some online swordmakers making claims of secret, special, magical steels,or processes they have,all of it is pure B*llSh*t designed to make a sale.Give Salamander Armoury a try and you won't be sorry,Jim is the best!Hope this helped,Ralph

[This message has been edited by TOMBSTONE (edited 07-30-2000).]

Try my link for Salamander Armoury below,if it doesn't work,like I said just go to the bladeforums links section.
http://www.atar.com/

Here's a pic of a Jim Hrisoulas (Salamander Armoury)Sword

View

Thanks for the info, guys. I should have mentioned this first that I am looking not only for a wallhanger, but a very functional cutting tool, blade about 18 to 24 inches long.

Anything else to add?

Harry

Okay,you want a traditional real sword,I just stay with the same advice as my previous post.Check out the work of Jim Hrisoulas.There are many other good smiths though,another is Tinker Pierce.Del-Tin swords from Italy are another good quality sword.Del-Tin's come not sharpened though,some dealers offer them sharpened, they do it themselves.Now if your looking in a Japanese style Katana blade then your getting into different makers,and most Japanese Sword makers making swords are usually starting in the $1,500.00 range .However the Cas Iberia series of swords handmade by Paul Chen are an exceptional value for the price.I would love to get one,maybe soon if I can swing it
biggrin.gif

Looking through the Cas Iberia catalog I see quite a few swords with functional blades. It's nice that they're saying which are functional and which are not. It might be worth getting a catalog and taking a look.

Del Tin makes a good quality user as does Kirby

------------------
The thorn stands to defend the Rose, yet it is peaceful and does not seek conflict

You won't be able to find many good swords with that short a blade. One good one - Del Tin 5131, called a falchion. It's like a medieval cutlass, 29.5" overall, 23.5" blade, weighing 3.1 lbs. It's very well-made - I've heard a lot of good things about it. You can find it at www.christianfletcher.com. He's actually got it in stock. That's unusual for Del Tins. If it has to be ordered, you've got an 8 month wait.

Why more will not make a short sword, cutlass or other kind of short sword is beyond me.

I know the longer swords have their adherents and are more romantic...especially when you see them wielded by your favorite actor in a good swashbuckler by the general public and it is they who influence what is mostly made. So you go to a custommaker for something you would like have but dont see elsewhere.

The Short Sword is very practical and serves as a good all around piece. Whether you are going out camping, brushwork, roleplaying, Living History or just to have. They are just good handy pieces.

Kirby has made many different styles of short swords from different periods over the years and in different lengths. From 18 inches up to 28 inches long in such styles as Cutlasses, hunting swords,Falchons, Long Saxes, Celtic/Roman shortswords, Civil War "D guard" Bowies and so on. The blades are all handforged Spring Steel with all tempering/annealling done here using traditional ways and not by furnace hardening. Depending on the style, the grips are one piece hardwood, with stag or bone offered as a special option. Some pieces do have split or "slab" handles and Kirby uses hardwood for these. All blades come with heavy leather scabbards that are formfitted to the blades or on a form first if the blade is a "leaf" or wider near the point like some Falchons were or short sabers.

As all of his work is custommade in the shop you might want to contact him with your question at this email "kirbywise@redrivernet.com" and see his workshop/website at: http://www.kirbywise.com

The photos are of some custom items he has made over the years but he is not limited to just what you see. He has been making his wares for the past 45 years.

By the way,fudo...thanks (grins)

LOL....its what I do best. Go ask anyone at NetSword!

But this is also from years of just plain liking History of all kinds, being involved in various history groups and learning much along the way.

Being married to Kirby the past 30 years, and helping the shop has given me a source of insight you cannot always get from book. Kirby has been making his wares for the past 45 years and met him at an SCA event in 1971. He started when he was 14.

I act as his researcher when he has to be in the shop and over the years, I have been the one answering questions and giving out information. We both see this as a way of not only keeping the Art alive when there was only Kirby and a few later smiths who decided to try their hand because his example.

In the past 20 years, we have seen an upsurge in interest in Swords, the making of them and keeping the Art alive. Part of this is renewed interest in Living History groups, reenactments and collecting in general. Kirby's armour finally had to take a backseat because so many wanted his blades instead. So now he rarely makes armour and only a few special helmets anymore.

By the way, we never advertised in the past and customers were word of mouth all these years....The website is our first actual "advertising" and been up since 1996.

Our 17 year old son has been helping in the shop learning the Craft. He has shown to have his father's eye and hand helping in the shop.

So, I come to the forums and offer insight, advice, observations and just sit with good people who also love this craft.

Back