quality blades with crappy or no handles

I like to fix up old knives. I have started making custom handles and was hoping to find a quanity of knives in liquidation or whatever that I could buy and practice with. The better the quality the steel the better. Easy off handles is good, no handles is great... anyone have a lead I could follow up?

Thanks...

You know you can get puukko blades from Ragnar's Forge, right? The custom knifemakers in Norway don't usually make blades; they buy factory blades and make custom handles for them....

Just look up Jantz supply or Knife and Gun finishing supply or Texas Knifemaker supply and order one of each catalog. There is all kinds of quality blades in there pre-made custom in either 440C or one of the AUS steels in various thicknesses and kit folders that all need custom handles installed on them. Some of the blades are rather high dollar if you get a damascus or ATS34 steel or something like that. Well, I say that, I guess the $185 Damascus with no handles are high but most of the others are $70 or far less.

I have bought several of the stainless paring knives over the years and find them to work quite well in the kitchen and for gift sets for family things. They are a lot less work really than having to make a blade from scratch of that nature and in my experience they work just as well as anything else in the kitchen whether I'd make it from scratch or not.

I know of a guy in Missouri that buys those Frost Mora knives and rehandles them and they come out quite nice. Those are great users too.

STR

You could try knifekits.com or texasknife.com. They sell fixed and folding knife kits. Most come without handle material.

There are many Japanese kitchen knives that are inexpensive with handles that are easy to take off.

The custom knifemakers in Norway don't usually make blades; they buy factory blades and make custom handles for them....
I'd rather say that most Norwegian "knifemakers" buy blades that are made by hand, by bladesmiths, and then put custom handles on them. There's a handful of good bladesmiths here, and if you go to (the pitifully small, traditional, and inbred venue that passes for) a knife show here you'll notice their blades are on most everybody's knives.

Your point about buying a blade and putting a handle on it still stands, though, obviously. :) In that regard, Helle makes some pretty decent factory blades. They've stopped selling their tool steel laminates as finished knives, but I think they still have some available as blade-only.

Back