Quantity or quality?

I'm at a crossroads in my collecting. Down one road is a few mid to high'ish knives with $200+ price tags, maybe two a year. Down the other road is a lot of sub 100 knives and maybe a few $100-$200 knives.

Which way did you guys choose to go and why?

I dunno. All but one of my knives are between $170-$300 while one cost me $50. Guess which one I like the least? So far my experience coincides with the old "you get what you pay for" saying. There sure are some decent knives for the budget friendly market but I know what I like and it usually doesnt come too cheap unfortunately. I seem to be happy in the middle ground and just haven't bought anything outrageously expensive yet.

For non-practical collecting... Man, it's not much of a collection if you only have a few knives. I think the number and value of the knives you should collect depends on what you value and what your disposable income is like.

As someone who has never been in a position that made more than $15 an hour, I rely on having a rotating collection. I look for good deals, buy what I like, and either sell it because it wasn't a fit for whatever reason or carry and use it for a while. This means I generally avoid losing money and just have the same $700 or so tied up in knives despite how many I handle in a given year.

If your disposable income allows it, your collection will naturally reflect what you appreciate and can internally justify.

I agree with several other posters. $100 (or less) doesnt necessarily mean bad quality. Ive bought small to medium custom knives for around $100 or less.

Yeah, I totally didn't mean to imply that sub $200 knives could not be quality, I know that's definitely not the case. I guess for me it comes down to getting to see and try out a lot of different, cheaper knives, or just buying one or two that are more expensive but I really appreciate as more than a knife, if that makes sense. Since I started collecting again, I've gone from thinking $90 was a lot for a knife to dropping over $200 on one just because I knew I could trade it for a knife I really wanted.

Im not wealthy enough to do that regularly, so I'm trying to decide if I'd be happier trying out multiple new knives every month, or just getting two or three *really* nice knives a year. Ultimately I'm the only one that can decide that, I know, but figured a lot of you had made the same decision in the past and was just wondering what swayed you either way.

It's hard to choose one route to take. Have some pricier knives ($200ish knives) that I really like.

On the other hand got some cheap knives that I will never sell(rat1&2, steel will cutjack mini)

Bought some benchmades that were junk in my opinion, also have some spydercos that just don't work for me.

Either way you will probably find knives you like and knives you don't

Quality of course (if you plan on using them)... but you can get low budget quality if you research, so you don't need to be too limited in quantity.

(if you base it on what you need, a short list like this)
chopper - skrama
skinner & general use - buck 420hc numerous models & mora & many others
folder - too many to list, as I'm sure you know ; )

If you're collecting for the sake of collecting then it may change of course, as good quality 'users' may not be your top priority.

Are you after good 'users' or collecting good makers/names?

I seldom will spend more than $200 on a knife. Fixed blades are an exception. The truth is I seldom pay more than $150 retail for a folding knife. I personally don't think you get that much more for say a $300 or $400 knife over a $200 knife. So, I have settled on the <$200 price for folders. I believe I only own one exception to that price limit and it's a custom.

Quality of course (if you plan on using them)... but you can get low budget quality if you research, so you don't need to be too limited in quantity.

(if you base it on what you need, a short list like this)
chopper - skrama
skinner & general use - buck 420hc numerous models & mora & many others
folder - too many to list, as I'm sure you know ; )

If you're collecting for the sake of collecting then it may change of course, as good quality 'users' may not be your top priority.

Are you after good 'users' or collecting good makers/names?

A little of column a, a little of column b. I don't put mine to any hard use, and my outdoor days are behind me, so primarily just folders that appeal to me aesthetically. My tastes are really eclectic, though, so there's no shortage of knives at any price point that I find interesting. Well, except maybe over $400, don't think I could rationalize that unless I win the lottery...

I thought paying >$200 on a knife was ridiculous.
That bar was raised fairly quickly to $450 for Umnumzaan.
Then I bought several Case Sod Buster Jr.

Wait, do you have a choice?
There is no free-will above knife craving.

I find the more is spend on a knife the more a small blemish or some feature bugs me enough to want to sell. I've lost more on $400 knives... and I'm now more than ever hesitating any time things get past $250 or so.

I ask myself, am I willing to trade or sell 2 or 3 knives to chase one really top end knife? If am not willing to consolidate 2 for 1, I don't do it.

I think *most* folks start out with quantity over quality. They try different brands, locks, blade shapes, steel, etc. As you learn what you like or don't like, you start refining from there. At some point, people start to spend more $ on knives and thin out out ones they don't carry much anymore.

The most I ever spent on a knife is around $140 or so. Due to poor financial decisions in my past (started my own business and failed), I try to save as much as possible and reload my retirement fund. I am content with my ZT 350, Delica 4 FFG, SAK or LM, or an Ontario Rat 1 in D2. I have no desire for a Sebenza, Shiro, custom, etc. I found what works for me, you need to find what works for you.

I may have missed it somewhere but what does your current collection look like?
I first I wanted to try several mfgs, steels, handles, locks etc. I also wanted to get my numbers up once I began looking at others collections, mostly here.
Then consolidated my taste, some costing more than others. I’ve got a dozen Case Tiny Toothpicks that I really dig and they are all in the $50-$150 range. My more modern folders run in the $150-$400 range, for now.

Quality.

I wish I’d figured it out earlier.

That said, I have a sub $60 Spyderco UKPK that I consider a quality folder. I have a few other knives in the $60-$140 range that sadly are not.

When I first got into knives I was buying roughly two per month. Now I’m buying about two per year. My last purchase was in January (Kapara). If/when finances permit, my next purchase will be a $500 grail. I’m trying not to be distracted by “lesser” knives in the interim, even if I find them at a bargain. Recently that included passing on a ZT 0470 and a small Senenza, both priced way under MAP.

Last edited:
Which way did you guys choose to go and why?[/QUOTE]

So I sorta collect with a purpose. I have 3 Spyderco Enduras that all fill a special purpose. One is a ZDP-189 that I carry to work every day. One is a VG10 with a saber grind that I used to learn sharpening techniques, acid and stone wasing ect. The final one is fully serrated with a wise men co signant ring and fang that I carry everyday for Personal protection. I own a few other spyderco knives, one benchmade a bastinelli karambit and a Kershaw launch. I got them because I thought they could fill the roles listed above but I kept turning back around to my endura's. My knife collection between the 7 knives that I consider "high end" is around $1050. I only carry two of them... SO I would suggest finding 1 or 2 knives that suit your needs the best, research steels and brands, go to knife shops and hold them in your hands, then buy that knife. After that who cares what you spend your money on? If someone shows me a knife that they are really proud of and happy with it makes me happy for them, Im not going to put them down or crap on there choices. I will try to see your $50 kershaw leek or Boker Kalashnikov the same way you see it. Hey If you can sharpen then an AUS-8A or VG10 knife may be all you need. I have a CHEST full of knives that are all under $100 I love all of them but I would never carry them... But that is because I have already found my "perfect" knife.

I guess what I am trying to say if once you find your perfect knife that you really dont think you can replace then you should collect what you can afford or what you think is cool. Are you a steel nerd? are you obsessed with cool design? Do you like a specific brand? Is function the most important thing? I get that some people like to rotate there EDC knife but I would strongly urge against that... You build up a knowledge and muscle memory with your EDC knife. Habits are very important. If you decide to have a rotating EDC then I suggest that you carry two knives. One that is a main stay and rotate the others in beside that one. I cant do that because I already carry two knives XD and I would look like a psychopath if I carried three...

I find the more is spend on a knife the more a small blemish or some feature bugs me enough to want to sell. I've lost more on $400 knives... and I'm now more than ever hesitating any time things get past $250 or so.

It's like we share a brain -- this has been exactly my experience to date.

I've only broken that ~$250 mark a handful of times, and found myself disappointed with something about roughly than 50% of them. Up in the rare air of >$400, my track record of enjoyment is even worse.

Overall, I like a range of knives that tend to be $100-$200, but includes some less expensive knives as well. I use all of my knives, and there's a lot of great value in users below $100.

Back