Queen Cutlery Company Closes

Shirly claimed the early Scagel reproductions were made by him in MI.

I always thought the Forum Knife 08 was made by Northwoods, can't be sure as it is 10 years ago and I can't remember what happens 10 days ago now:eek:

It has Northwoods, Gladstone, Mich on all three blade tangs anyway.

Au9e2Lj.jpg

Always thought that pre-KnivesShipFree Northwoods were higher end Queens. Most of them were pretty epic knives.

I think only early if any Northwoods were made In Gladstone. Otherwise Queen cutlery before the GEC age.

Russell

Dave Shirly claimed online (now defunct Knifeforums) and I think in a Knife World article that his Scagel Reproductions of actual Scagel knives were by him. Before that they were Queens FSO and the same with later non-Scagel repros marked Northwoods. Some of the Scagels were claimed by others to be Queen parts assembled or finished by Shirley, a claim he denied. He used a lot of stag, which came from his stash, so he probably at least finished them. He made a fair number of fixed blade Scagels. These Scagel patterns both fixed and folding were pretty original patterns, that were not in the Queen stable of patterns. He has since passed on as has the most recent owner of the brand so who really knows?

If I remember correctly, KSF said the Scagel #17 was built on the Queen Mountain Man frame.
Out of the box the blade came with a very thick edge and I put a lot of effort in sharpening, convexing and polishing.
Regardless if it was built by Queen or not, it turned out to be a very nice large lockback!

Scagel #17 011.jpg
The pouch is the best craftmanship I have seen in a pocketpouch, with smooth inside due to being built in 2-ply leather.

Regards
Mikael

The Queen web site, which lasted online for awhile, is now down/gone, so no access to the historical documents that were once available.
- Stuart

The Queen web site, which lasted online for awhile, is now down/gone, so no access to the historical documents that were once available.
- Stuart

All that information was provided to Queen by the Queen Historical Society members. I would think there is a copy of all that information somewhere. Maybe they'll start a website to put it all up again.

There is a textile company right near the closed Queen factory, which might buy it out at auction, in order to expand. I think the receiver has to auction it by law, but I don't know Pennsylvania law.

I remember the first of three tours of the factory I have done over the years!! It was awesome!!
Might have been 2004. The factory had kept a lot of it's original shape; tall windows for natural light, plank floors. Grinding was done in the basement with water channels moving the cooling water around. Antique, monster machines, still in use!! Very moving experience, especially for a knife nut like myself!!

Back