Queen Cutlery Company Closes

I will be curious to see what they do but definitely gives promise and hope for some more options in the traditional knife market.

Well, a little bird says that Bluegrass Cutlery out of Southern Ohio was able to buy nearly all machines/equipment/inventory from the Queen bankruptcy auction, and also acquired the S&M trademark, and that the factory should be up and running, making traditional knives again very soon. The first release S&M knives should be available in 2020 some time. I think this is great and exciting! The historic US company is still US located, and the old machines will be churning out knives once again!
Exciting news!

,,,Mike in Canada

IIRC Bluegrass made many of the nicer Winchester, or was it Remmington, knives though I think I had heard they also contracted out some of those to places like Queen so my knowledge is a bit fuzzy I am sure someone else knows more.

Poking around online a little it sounds like in the past they have been just a retailer/wholesaler.

They bought the machines, but do they have people that know how to use them to make knives?

That is GREAT news indeed !! :thumbsup: This is the best scenario I could wish for with the Queen name. :cool:
Thanks for making my day!!! :D;):)

Dave

I've been told in the past that Bluegrass Cutlery used Queen as their contractor, but I don't know jack :)

In another forum Gil Cooper, a representative of Bluegrass, gave a lot more details to the story. He is the one spearheading the project for Bluegrass to take on the S&M name. In the past, Bluegrass had a small section of knife assembly, but the bulk of their knives were contracted out (to places like Queen). Now they will do all operations in house, for S&M, Winchester, Primble, and possible others. No mention yet of the Queen Cutlery name being used. He is eager to keep a historic US cutlery company operating in the US. At a knife show in Kentucky recently, a man I spoke with said that the old master cutler from Queen may be providing some assistance to get the machines running correctly.

Well, a little bird says that Bluegrass Cutlery out of Southern Ohio was able to buy nearly all machines/equipment/inventory from the Queen bankruptcy auction, and also acquired the S&M trademark, and that the factory should be up and running, making traditional knives again very soon. The first release S&M knives should be available in 2020 some time. I think this is great and exciting! The historic US company is still US located, and the old machines will be churning out knives once again!
I'm hoping this will be a positive venture for all of us, manufacturer and consumer alike. :cool::thumbsup:

Back