Quenching in 90 weight motor oil

Fairly new to quenching. I have a lot of very lightly used 90 weight motor oil. Is there any reason I shouldn't be using it to quench my blades? Besides the stench at least.

What kind of steel? It will likely harden your blades some, but there are much better options in engineered quenchants these days, and while they seem pricey, they do a much better job and last a very long time...

If I recall, Maxim Oil is based out of Texas, and they'll be able to get you exactly what you need at a very reasonable price.

90 weight is tremendously thick

I agree, Maxim oil in Texas sells Parks oil

Parks 50 for Fast oil like 1095, W1, W2,

Parks AAA for slower oil like O1

brand new cheap clean canola oil is available in every grocery store- but not much cheaper than Parks - especially if you pay no shipping

Last edited:
Isn't 90-EP the hypoid lube ? that would be far too thick for quenching .

Quench oils tend to be very thin, thick oil doesn't circulate well during the quench.

Quench oils tend to be very thin, thick oil doesn't circulate well during the quench.
@Nathan , which carbon steel is best candidate to test all this oils ? Oils like canola , transformer oil , used engine synthetic and minerali oil , different hydraulic oil , hypoid oil ...etc ?I have them all here for free so I would like to make test with all that oil .....

@Nathan , which carbon steel is best candidate to test all this oils ? Oils like canola , transformer oil , used engine synthetic and minerali oil , different hydraulic oil , hypoid oil ...etc ?I have them all here for free so I would like to make test with all that oil .....

I wouldn't quench in transformer oil. Some of it was pretty toxic.

The best quench oil will be thin and clean without EP additives or other stuff that will char and stick to the blade. Canola oil is pretty good. Engine oil is terrible. Hydraulic fluid should work okay for some slower steels though I expect it will catch on fire.

Personally, I stick to regular quench oils designed for the purpose. No need complicating something so simple as an oil quench with unknown variables.

If I was running a comparison test for backyard HT with found oils, I would use 1084 as the test material.

As Nathan said, I would not list or test "transformer" oil. I would test mineral oil.

I have right quench oils / slowly I will complete all equipment / but just from curiosity I would like to try one steel in all that different oil and see result. Only my friend would not be happy when he see me in his shop playing with his expensive Rockwell tester .....again :) Don t worry about hazard , I survived 20 years oil vapors and breathing asbestos in my service.....one more time no problem :)
80Crv2 ? 15N20 or 52100 ?

Canola has a nice high flash point. Non-toxic. Perfect for 1084.

Back