Question About 124

Sorry it took me a bit...I had a major avalanche in the mushroom closet and this is what I could find of different examples of "Bowie" knives...The 124 I got from Makael, if I remember right.... The Deer leg handled one and the Dbl XX, I got from DP77....Thanks Guy's.....

IMG_1005.JPG

74-75 maybe 75-100 done in the custom shop. Chuck shut down the modifications. Personally clips are weaker. But 124's are nothing but bowies. Per LR

79ez27K.jpg

rQTgwdX.jpg

juYiECi.jpg

Anybody have any thoughts on the oddly shaped ricasso on the 124?

A choil is part of the ricasso.

I didn’t call it a choil because a choil has a purpose. ie sharpening choil or finger choil. This one is neither and it is doubled with a spike between.

I don’t recall ever seeing another like it, on any other Buck or other brand for that matter.

Just curious if it had a purpose other than artistic style.

Last edited:
Reactions: TAH
I think the "choil" is the unsharpened part of the blade near the handle and, just from what I have read...:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::p:p:D

You just gave the Wikipedia definition almost word for word for Ricasso.

Although in the big picture. You and Tah have the same credibility as Wikipedia.

But yes I did mean that area of the blade.

Reactions: TAH
That must be ET ‘s knife he is the only one those finger grooves would work for.

A choil is part of the ricasso.

I didn’t call it a choil because a choil has a purpose. ie sharpening choil or finger choil. This one is neither and it is doubled with a spike between.

I don’t recall ever seeing another like it, on any other Buck or other brand for that matter.

Just curious if it had a purpose other than artistic style.

I didn't get the info from Wikipedia!!!! If you look at OH's diagram that's what I said!! Some choil's go all the way to the handle that way the entire blade is sharpened... If you think about it if you're in a knife fight and you're holding your knife properly the extended Quilion would protect your wrist... P.S. I wasn't arguing with you, I was questioning what TAH said...

AnatomyArgyreCrazyLaceAgate1.jpg KnifeAnatomy2.jpg KnifeAnatomy3.jpg KnifeAnatomy6.jpg KnifeAnatomy12.jpgKnifeAnatomyBLDDaggergamma.jpg

I know you didn’t get it from Wikipedia. I was pointing out that your definition of a choil is their definition of a Ricasso!

I wasn’t arguing either just trying to communicate the spot I was talking about. It is just semantics.

I didn’t notice DP’s knife has the straight ricasso. But now that I see it, I like it better than those that have the weird “choil”.

Somehow it makes it seem more BOWIE like. (Shameless attempt to tie in with the OP). Sorry for the thread drift.

Last edited:
The battle for "what is a Bowie" has been raging for a long time. There's so many varying schools of thought and opinions it's all in which one u subscribe to. Kinda like politics of our knife knut world.:D:D

Those are some absolutely exquisite examples of what I consider a Bowie to be. Beautiful knives guys I always appreciate you taking the time to put that stuff up:D

Back