Question about 3V

If this is OK with Nathan I think it would be cool to have a place where we can ask about CPK and knives in general.

If Nathan's cool with it .

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is OK I'd like to ask a question about 3v.

How do you think it would handle being made into a fillet knife?

Oh yea Happy Father's day :)

There seem to be a number of favorable comments of S35VN as commercial fish fillet knives . So why shouldn't 3v work as well ??
I can fillet , cook, and eat fish very well but I'm short on the catching step.

There seem to be a number of favorable comments of S35VN as commercial fish fillet knives . So why shouldn't 3v work as well ??
I can fillet , cook, and eat fish very well but I'm short on the catching step.

Thank you mete I'm glad you chimed in :) always willing to trade fresh Alaska king salmon for blade relatedness ;)

What I'm specifically looking for would be (excuse my ignorance ) edge retention for hard objects .

Basically a lot of the fisherman up here either clean their catch on the bank or at home (most do it at the bank since they can discard the carcass ).

So for the ones that clean against the banks on gravel or sand and their edges dull very quickly (on cheap available knives).

What steel would stand up to rocks and sand (I know all will eventually get dinged up) the best ?.

Which is why I was thinking 3v but I'm NO metallurgy expert :) nor do I have the resources to test a bunch of individual batches without at least narrowing it down .
The stainless doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't rust like 1095 :)

If this is OK with Nathan I think it would be cool to have a place where we can ask about CPK and knives in general.

If Nathan's cool with it .

Yeah that's a good use for a subforum, a good place to consolidate information. :thumbup:

If it is OK I'd like to ask a question about 3v.

How do you think it would handle being made into a fillet knife?

It could a reasonably good choice, though perhaps not optimal. It can have much better than average ductility at fairly high hardness which makes it a good resilient material that would perform well in a thin springy application. But I don't think all the vanadium carbide is buying you much in the application (food is generally not very abrasive) and I also might prefer a steel designed to be stainless. 3V would work, but something like AEB-L might be a better fit for a moderate chrome stainless with great edge stability that can get razor sharp very easily.

Yeah that's a good use for a subforum, a good place to consolidate information. :thumbup:

It could a reasonably good choice, though perhaps not optimal. It can have much better than average ductility at fairly high hardness which makes it a good resilient material that would perform well in a thin springy application. But I don't think all the vanadium carbide is buying you much in the application (food is generally not very abrasive) and I also might prefer a steel designed to be stainless. 3V would work, but something like AEB-L might be a better fit for a moderate chrome stainless with great edge stability that can get razor sharp very easily.

Awsome Nathan!

So after reading my last post do you think the aeb-l would work better for the performance characteristics I'm looking for?.

Would the carbides be better against the rocks and sand (please excuse me I need to educate myself more on steel terminology . (I feel like a moron talking to you and Mete lol :)

Also the corrosion is minor to me compared to edge retention (terminology? ) against the hard rocks and sand

corrosion has a direct effect on edge retention. The smallest cross section of a knife is most susceptible to degrading through corrosion, and is also the most useful part- especially for a fillet knife. Delta 3V is easy to rehone, but in salt water I think you might have a lot more maintenance

I agree with Nate, that AEB-L would be a better choice. S35VN would be good too. Hell, 420 would be great with the right cross section and heat treatment.

Awsome Nathan!

So after reading my last post do you think the aeb-l would work better for the performance characteristics I'm looking for?.

Would the carbides be better against the rocks and sand (please excuse me I need to educate myself more on steel terminology . (I feel like a moron talking to you and Mete lol :)

If you're cutting a gritty material and clacking rocks, an optimized 3V is going to do better, but I guess I haven't really run into that much when cleaning fish and can't speak from experience.

Hell, 420 would be great with the right cross section and heat treatment.

^ I was gonna say one of the 440s. It's not a fashionable steel, but I like the toothy edge because it can cut things like meat even after it starts to blunt.

corrosion has a direct effect on edge retention. The smallest cross section of a knife is most susceptible to degrading through corrosion, and is also the most useful part- especially for a fillet knife. Delta 3V is easy to rehone, but in salt water I think you might have a lot more maintenance

I agree with Nate, that AEB-L would be a better choice. S35VN would be good too. Hell, 420 would be great with the right cross section and heat treatment.

My target is more fresh water guys that if they spend a chunk of change on a blade they take care of it .

But I do hear what your saying

If you're cutting a gritty material and clacking rocks, an optimized 3V is going to do better, but I guess I haven't really run into that much when cleaning fish and can't speak from experience.

^ I was gonna say one of the 440s. It's not a fashionable steel, but I like the toothy edge because it can cut things like meat even after it starts to blunt.

This is what I was looking for :)

Also remember we are knife guys we take care not to hit rocks and things.

But asking my mother's husband who is a fishing fool but not a knife guy (kinda he's a chef so he appreciates a sharp knife but has no clue why one is better then the other)

His biggest gripe was losing his edge due to filletting on the side of the river

Basically I'm trying to make him an awsome fillet knife he would gladly wipe it down with mineral oil if it meant not fighting a dull knife.

As said all knives will dull in these conditions just looking to prolong periods between sharpening.

Thank you all. For your time :)

Last edited:
One more question beings that my stock thickness will be so thin .

And having read what mete said about damaging the HT with heat .

What shout I take the material down to ? Without having warp issues .

I was planning on profiling and drilling but waiting till after HT to cut the bevels in with a wet grinding setup .... but after reading what mete said I don't Wana risk making it chippy .

Thanks

that's sounding like shop talk queries, those guys can definitely fill in the blanks for you

Yup I posted a thread there as well I just figured you both have done a ton with 3v so you would be the guys id want to talk to :)

Back