Question about a Camillus with no tang stamp.

I saw this and wasn't sure if it was an original Camillus or one made after they closed their doors.
There are no tang stamps at all on this knife.
The new Camillus will have blade markings like this, so that is why I'm not sure about it's country of origin.
IIajzhA.jpg

Last edited:
I strongly suspect this is one of the many knives made from leftover parts (which had the tang stamps removed) before the factory closed.

I've seen thousands of Camillus knives and to the best of my recollection this is the first time I've ever seen that specific laser etch. Curious to see the entire knife: all (2?) blades, handle, etc.

The pictures were still on imgur, not sure why they no longer showed up.
They are back up again.

I can see the pics now. I'm almost certain Dean's 21 pattern pony jack was made in the New York factory before the doors closed. The tang stamp was either ground off or it was never stamped to begin with. The reason for this, and the unusual laser etch, sure has me swingin'. The center pin looks bigger than the norm as well. If I had to guess, I'd say one of the workers had some spare time the day he or she slapped it together, possibly for their own use or as a giveaway.

Regardless, I'd be happy to own either knife posted above.

Last edited:
I saw this and wasn't sure if it was an original Camillus or one made after they closed their doors.
There are no tang stamps at all on this knife.
The new Camillus will have blade markings like this, so that is why I'm not sure about it's country of origin.
IIajzhA.jpg
I'm sure it was not done at Camillus factory.
Etching was done very roughly. In such cases, we in Russia say - done on the knee.
Here is an example of a factory remarking:
0_63641_1820b425_XL.jpg

I'm sure it was not done at Camillus factory.
Vitali, are you suggesting that the knife's components were manufactured at the NY factory, then assembled ("done") elsewhere or do you think this knife was made entirely elsewhere?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. :thumbsup:
I think I'll write this one off as a early Chinese made Camillus.

Vitali, are you suggesting that the knife's components were manufactured at the NY factory, then assembled ("done") elsewhere or do you think this knife was made entirely elsewhere?
I think that the correct answer we can learn from Phil Gibbs (when he appears here :)).

I have to say that that is definitely a Camillus knife but I have never seen that etch before. What went out in the final 6 months though, I have no idea.

I have a couple of apparent Camillus contract knives for Buck that have the Buck tang stamping ground off and etching of other companies (Remington) over that grinding. Which were made well before the closing of the factory. I think that the former knife craftsmen from Cami would say ( and as Rick alludes too above) that at the end everything was sold that could be. 300Bucks

My thoughts are it is not a camillus at all:(
That's an interesting and plausible theory also.
We are all over the map here and I'm not sure who has it right, if anyone. Gotta love it. The range of certainty with respect to pedigree, from one Camillus knife to another, is part of the allure for me. Sure keeps things interesting. As we venture further and further away from 2007 such questions are sure to increase and those who can answer with at least some authority ... well ... I know I'm not getting any younger.
Hence the importance of forums like this one.

Back