Question About a Chisel Grind

Yimes

Platinum Member
I had an Emerson knife a while back with a chisel grind and I could not cut straight with it to save my life. I came to understand that this is inherent to the chisel grind and is actually useful for skinning type chores. (should have done my homework before purchasing). Now I know.

I don't have need for a chisel grind but a knife I am very interested in happens to have a chisel grind.

So my question is: would the blade stock thickness effect the amount of movement when cutting something like an apple for example.

The Emerson was very thick and the knife I am considering is thin at 0.06 thickness. I wonder is the much thinner blade would mean significantly less movement when slicing.

And BTW the knife I am looking at is the Strider Zipper Skinner Neck Knife so if anyone has one and can comment on the chisel grind on it that would be great as well. Thanks!

Your problem is inherent to Emerson’s Chisel Grind because he puts it on the viewing side for a righty but a grind on that side is for a left handed person. Some Japanese Culinary knives are Chisel grinds. They make right & left handed ones. You want the flat or non ground side on the inside so you have control.. Easy peasey! Some “Tactical” makers want you to see the grind cause it looks Kewl! Don’t cut well at all as you’ve found out!

This might interest you as far as why Emerson and others chose Chisel grind on knives like the Emerson and fixed blades (cooking knives are all different ala Benchco's post).

Buckle up . . . it ain't pretty ! Click on him :p

PS : Thank you Charlie Mike for the Education.
Rip (or give'em hell if you ain't).

This might interest you as far as why Emerson and others chose Chisel grind on knives like the Emerson and fixed blades (cooking knives are all different ala Benchco's post).

Buckle up . . . it ain't pretty ! Click on him :p

PS : Thank you Charlie Mike for the Education.
Rip (or give'em hell if you ain't).
Quite the read indeed. Most of it over my simple head but thanks for the link.

Bring back an older thread I started instead of starting a new one. I assume it possible but I thought I would ask: using a KME is is possible to convert a chisel grind to a v grind or similar? If anyone has done this I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Bring back an older thread I started instead of starting a new one. I assume it possible but I thought I would ask: using a KME is is possible to convert a chisel grind to a v grind or similar? If anyone has done this I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
Every knife with symmetrical grinds starts with one side ground and the other flat. If starting with a blade that is already ground to a cutting apex, understand that grinding the reverse side will bring that apex down as it centers it between the bevels. You will then need to grind the original side to re-establish symmetry. Whether or not you want to undertake this on a KME depends on the amount of material you need to remove, the grit you are using to grind, and the time you have to spend on the project... If it's a reasonably thick knife (e.g. 1/8") and you need to make a reasonably wide bevel (e.g. >1/2") you might consider using power tools... lots of material would need to be stripped away.

Chisel grinds have handedness... nevermind Rhino got it right! I'm a fan of chisel ground combo edges myself. Makes for a great yard knife!

chiral.grolim chiral.grolim thanks for the info, the blade stock is .06 but I’m going to think hard before I attempt it.

cchu518 cchu518 i have had this knife for a couple months know and still have not grown to love the Chisel. I know some people love it but I tried and failed.

chiral.grolim chiral.grolim thanks for the info, the blade stock is .06 but I’m going to think hard before I attempt it.

cchu518 cchu518 i have had this knife for a couple months know and still have not grown to love the Chisel. I know some people love it but I tried and failed.
That's pretty thin, how wide to you plan to make the bevel?
You can always set up the blade in the KME with your coarsest stone at the desired angle and go to town and see how far you get in a given amount of time. If you decide you are going to do it, using the KME won't prevent you from using a power-grinder later if you get sick of the process. Photo of the knife intended?

Most chisel ground knives are far too thick and have poor geometry.

A properly designed chisel ground knife should be a fantastic cutter.

That might be a difft matter too. The only Emerson that I ever got on with was the A100. And even that didn't last too long.

Back