Question About a Possible Fake C81GP2 Para 2

GatorFlash1

Gold Member
I have been looking over all my Spydercos to see if I have been taken in by a clone at some time in the past.

I have a Para 2 purchased in 2014 that I'm having doubts about. The knife itself seems authentic comparing it to my other Paras and some of the Facebook clone identification posts.

The box looks a little funky though.

Can you give me your thoughts as to the authenticity of this knife please?

Atiso0e.jpg

DiDLy7n.jpg

K1h8IGK.jpg

9AaZkke.jpg

H4xJGYc.jpg

m0tKNHL.jpg

89LyIVm.jpg

A6NwSmD.jpg

yZ9b0c9.jpg

ZOECnaP.jpg

l39UjyX.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. That was what I was afraid of. How could you tell so quickly? I'll check my other Paramil 2's. Damn, I hate to be taken in by a fake but those sellers are out there. Probably many of them are selling these on purpose and others probably some not, they ust don't know what they are selling..

Last edited:
Thanks guys. That was what I was afraid of. How could you tell so quickly? I'll check my other Paramil 2's. Damn, I hate to be taken in my a fake but those sellers are out there some on purpose and probably some not, just don't know what they are selling..

Open your PM2, with edge up and blade pointed forward. Looking in between the handles, you should see the liners. There should be some notches in the steel liners, which are offset. Notches in the steel liners indicate that it's an authentic PM2. The font is also off, the jimping is off, the hardware is off, everything just screams fake. You handle enough PM2s, you'll know a fake when you see it.

Thanks. I'm glad I asked and have such good folks to ask. I see the lack of notches you are referring to on the liner.

Are these notches also found on Military and other similar Spyderco models?

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm glad I asked and have such good folks to ask. I see the notches you are referring to.

Are these notches also found on Military and other similar Spyderco models?

The liners on the Military are quite small and nested even more than the PM2s. They do have notches, but you can't see them unless you take them apart. I haven't seen too many fake Militaries, as they just aren't as popular as the PM2.

So are you saying that the knife posted above has notched liners? If so, counterfeiters are now notching the liners or has that been a thing for awhile now?

So are you saying that the knife posted above has notched liners? If so, counterfeiters are now notching the liners or has that been a thing for awhile now?

The fakes do not have the notched liners. That one above is a horrible fake and stands out as a fake.

I dunno, like 91Bravo said, after you look at enough PM2s you see a fake and instantly your mind is like "hmm not right". The edge grind and plunge look really wonky to me.

I only buy from dealers that I know and trust (a good list of them in the dealer memberships here on BF) ... or members on here ... and I try to check a bit on any seller I'm not at least a bit familiar with ...

or a very rare occasion I may buy through an unknown dealer/seller ... but I try to do my homework and do the transaction through channels that protect me best as can be ...

but sadly unless you are very familiar with a certain knife it makes it a sketchy situation trying to buy through Ebay or IG or like places ... so you about need to find reputable dealers ... or get very familiar with the knife you are wanting ...

And I have to agree ... I'm not an expert on PM2s but have handled enough of them to know that is a fake ... a bad one even ...

I 100 percent agree that is a fake:eek:
I was just wanting to know if the counterfeiters notch the liners now... Hopefully OP chimes in to clarify

Hopefully he will. I'd actually like to see what the liners look like on the inside of the knife. A pic down at an angle through the handles, while knife is open, would tell a lot!

I'll play around with it and see if I can get a picture of the liners this clone and a good one. The knife in the pictures definately DOES NOT have notched liners. My other PM 2's do and the notch is very easy to see.

I think I bought the knife from someone on BF but it was at least five years ago. I just stuffed it in my gun safe with all my other knives.

Last edited:
I'll play around with it and see if I can get a picture of the liners. The knife in the pictures definately DOES NOT have notched liners. My other PM 2's do.

I think I bought the knife from someone on BF but it was at least five years ago. I just stuffed it in my gun safe with all my other knives.

Now you have a fake and a real one to compare and now you know how to spot a fake through pictures. Look at the compression lock cut out on the handles of both. You'll see the sharp vs smooth transitions in the cutout.

Back