Question about a potential modification

BlackKnight86

Say my name, cheesers!
I just received the APOC Tactical Cutlass, designed by Angus Trim and executed by Dragon King for CAS Iberia.

http://casiberia.com/product/apoc-atrim-tactical-cutlass/sd35500

I like it....it's a nice blade shape, and from what I've heard, a decent steel. It's also a good, simple design and construction.

My question is, how would it lend itself to shortening the handle and putting a basket hilt on it? What issues (balance or otherwise) would someone have doing that? If you kept the job simple, would it be worth it?

It seems to be the sword equivalent of, say, a Cold Steel hawk or machete, in that it's a nice basic canvas on which to do other things. I'm planning to get another one, one to keep as is, another to modify. I haven't used it yet; but from what I've read it's a nice little sword.

Thanks, guys!

BK86

Hmm interesting idea. Are you trying to make a rough approximation of a Scottish basket hilt out of it? If so you would need to strip that coating and remove the lugs as well. Then there would be the question of getting the basket and you would think you would want to put a decent grip and a pommel on also. Would you do all that work yourself? This sword retails for around 120 dollars or thereabouts. A fairly nice basket hilt by windlass
upload_2018-4-20_22-46-44.pngupload_2018-4-20_22-48-18.png

Goes for about 300 or less. Just food for thought...

I hear you... would definitely not do it if it were anything complicated or not something I could do on my own.

What I was thinking about is a naval cutlass type basket - either a "fist" or a "cage". Kind of like the US 1917 cutlass had. I would love to see a replica of that sword.

The basic figure eight guards lasted for more than a century and cut out of a single sheet.

You will basically be adding weight to your hand. At that blade length, you aren't going to change much about the dynamics of the blade, just adding oversteer.

Cheers
GC

Figure_8_guard_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm interesting idea. Are you trying to make a rough approximation of a Scottish basket hilt out of it? If so you would need to strip that coating and remove the lugs as well. Then there would be the question of getting the basket and you would think you would want to put a decent grip and a pommel on also. Would you do all that work yourself? This sword retails for around 120 dollars or thereabouts. A fairly nice basket hilt by windlass
View attachment 891563View attachment 891565

Goes for about 300 or less. Just food for thought...

If it were at all doable, I'd definitely want to do the mod myself, just to make it my own. The reason that I was thinking of this particular sword is because I like the shape, and there aren't too many good basic cutlasses out there in the traditional format.

I've got Windlass' 1860 US Naval Cutlass; and I'm thinking of getting the BattleCry Scottish Baskethilt.....I hear that that series is pretty good.

Ideally, I love a custom cutlass, made to my specs. Nothing fancy, very military in form and function. I just don't know who I would have make it.

I've got one of Jody Samson's cutlass bare blades.....I like it; but not too fond of the angle at the tip. My ideal would be the 1860 naval cutlass, or the French one it was based off of, with 5160 blade and blackened furniture. I have an image; but have never fleshed it out anywhere.

Cold Steel makes a replica of that sword.

I have five of them. I like them well enough; but the replica I want is the actual 1917 USN cutlass (solid basket, not cage), not the Dutch Klewang, which is essentially what Cold Steel's is.

Also, I like Cold Steel; but their swords are generally overbuilt, and lack the feel of the real thing (things like balance and distal taper).

The basic figure eight guards lasted for more than a century and cut out of a single sheet.

You will basically be adding weight to your hand. At that blade length, you aren't going to change much about the dynamics of the blade, just adding oversteer.

Cheers
GC

View attachment 892172

Is that the English one? Oh, I'd love one of those....a good replica would be wonderful. You don't by any chance know of a place to get decent cutlass replicas, do you?

That is the basic type of basket I'd like...perhaps a bit more past the knuckles; but very simple, just like that.

Were the baskets generally made of mild steel on these types of swords, or were they tempered?

gggodwin is one source

$100 and $215 examples. email him to confirm stock before using his cart system.

Universal Swords does an 1804 see Kult of Athena

Weapon Edge just marketed a plain stirrup hilt hanger, also shown on KOA

The guards were not heat treated, no real need to.

Cheers
GC

Back