Question about Begg Field Grade Bodega

Azazello

Gold Member
I just got lucky and won a Todd Begg Field Grade Bodega in a raffle. I've never had a serious flipper before, so I'm wondering if this one is working right.

Here's the thing: Action and lockup are great. But when unlocking the blade to close it, there's a sort of second stop that holds the blade open. Just seems like it shouldn't be there. It doesn't stop you from closing it, but it does catch and force you to either further open the framelock or just force the blade past it.

Is this by design, or is something wrong? I like this knife and want to carry it, but not if it's got problems.

Thanks.

Sounds like you're describing the detent. You want a strong detent in a flipper for at least a couple of reasons.

For one, it lets you build up a little pressure against the flipper tab, which helps make sure the knife snaps open with some force. In other words, it makes the deployment a little more consistent and reliable.

More important, it helps keep the knife from flopping open in your pocket.

Many maker put a 'ramp' on the base of the blade to help the ball detent ride over the butt of the blade while closing. While not affecting any other operation of the knife, it make closing much easier. The knife you have might possibly lack this feature.

-Michael

Back