Question about Benchmade 940............

Hello.......My needs have changed in what I need an EDC blade for....thus my tastes have started to change as well. I used to need and prefer a little larger folder. I am really starting to gravitate toward small, lighter folders that carry very discretely. The Benchmade 940 seems perfect in this regard. I have read about the love for this knife over the years....just never appealed to me..until now:)( I know I am very late to the party on this one)............Anyway my big question on this knife is the blade grind. Was hoping all of you long time user could comment on it. It appears like it might be a bit thick. Is there any wedging effect? Does it slice well?. I have seen a few cardboard cut test videos and it seems like it gets caught up a bit..drags a little. I have been carrying a Spyderco Sage 1 a lot lately. It slices great. How would the 940 compare? Thanks

I got one last week and noticed the same thing! I reprofiled it soon as I got it home.Ive done this with almost all my knives anyway so it's nothing new. I've done it to all 6 of my Benchmades ! You need to do it with diamond if you can on that s30v it's a lot Easyer! You'll really like it then ,it's a fantastic knife!!!!!!!

My 940 seemed to slice very well with the factory edge. I used it as an oyster shucker and put some chips near the tip though so it's reprofiling time. I'll probably go with a slightly thinner edge and no more shucking; either that or I need to improve my skills.

Hello.......My needs have changed in what I need an EDC blade for....thus my tastes have started to change as well. I used to need and prefer a little larger folder. I am really starting to gravitate toward small, lighter folders that carry very discretely. The Benchmade 940 seems perfect in this regard. I have read about the love for this knife over the years....just never appealed to me..until now:)( I know I am very late to the party on this one)............Anyway my big question on this knife is the blade grind. Was hoping all of you long time user could comment on it. It appears like it might be a bit thick. Is there any wedging effect? Does it slice well?. I have seen a few cardboard cut test videos and it seems like it gets caught up a bit..drags a little. I have been carrying a Spyderco Sage 1 a lot lately. It slices great. How would the 940 compare? Thanks
Reprofile the edge to 17º per side and it will slice much better. The factory edge is closer to 25º per side.

Back