Question about blade play

So on my small 21, I've noticed that there is a small amount of vertical blade play when the blade is in a mid position (not fully locked open, and not closed -- let's say, at an angle of 1 to 160 degrees). It's not a huge amount of play, more like a vertical wiggle of a millimeter or so. Is this normal? It doesn't really bother me, as long as it's supposed to be there. I have plenty of knives that don't have any play at all when open in a mid position.
Tnx

I've never had a sebenza that did that but my umnumzaan does.
I've carried it for about two years and there have been no problems with it, no need to worry.
If it bugs you though just call CRK and speak to somebody, I'm sure that they'll take care of you.

Horizontal you mean?

Don't sweat it unless it's in lock position and there's blade play.

Hi Riverrat- no, there's no horizontal play at all. It's vertical play. With the blade partially open, pushing the blade gently forward or backward causes it to move about 1 mm before it hits the normal resistance of a blade being pushed open or closed. It's just a tiny bit - hard to see visually (though possible), but easy to feel. It feels a little bit ... "loose" vertically. However, when it's in lock position there is no play whatsoever; it's tight as a drum. I'm not worried about it, but am wondering what would cause it and whether cleaning it and putting it back together might eliminate it.

Thanks for clarifying.

With most issues an initial breakdown, cleaning, and reassembly is always worth a shot:thumbup:

Thanks for clarifying.

With most issues an initial breakdown, cleaning, and reassembly is always worth a shot:thumbup:

The above is very true. I noticed the same play you are describing in a large raindrop damascus knife I purchased (21 and it was new).

After I took it apart, cleaned, re-applied grease, and assembled/ tightened everything up...the play disappeared and has yet to come back.

It's just the play in the pivot, it's totally normal. I have it on all my CRK folders to one extent or another, you can help mask it with lube or by tightening the pivot but it's still there.

If the bushing was tight enough so their wasn't play you wouldn't be able to close it or open it, most knives are far worse. Try doing that on a para2. If the lock is engaged and thers no play your good to go

Just checked the small 21 I have in my pocket. Slight play when half open. Lock up is rock solid, of course. I wouldn't worry about it.

The hole in the blade is a tad bigger than the pivot pin. The slight rattle is the pin moving a bit in the hole. Should be very little. I've had two folders off the top of my head out of dozens including several Sebs that had no "play" in this respect... my Sm 21 & my Shirogorov 95. I'm sure it's normal and it personally does not bother me.

Back