Question about clones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if there are currently Lionsteel Roundhead clones being sold?

I've looked in the usual places, can't seem to find any.

Good.

The Roundhead is a sweet knife, but I prefer the Shuffler. The real deals are worth it.

this wont go well.

buy the real product. support legitimate businesses..... not clones/fakes.

Easy now, fellas.

Judging by the OP's post history, there are some nuances of Bladeforums that Ashley hasn't found out about yet.

The vast majority of members don't like clones, and with good reason. If they are facsimiles of custom or mid-tech knives, they tend to be poor quality, and can cause people to accuse the original maker of putting out a bad product, especially if they are re-sold by somebody who doesn't disclose their origin.

If they are copies of production knives, they tend to be poor quality, although I have seen cases where a company that produces a design for a well-known company will turn around and sell the identical design with their own logo on it.

Last but not least is the issue of intellectual property theft. This is especially important for small-volume makers, who put a lot of sweat into coming up with something unique, only to have it copied and sold by the thousands. Suddenly, their work is buried under an avalanche of low-quality clones that are indistinguishable to the average customer.

We've also seen our share of shills and trolls, and it's made the average member pretty dismissive, and rightly so: if you've seen a hundred posts that fit the same general pattern, you're going to assume that the hundred and first post is also somebody trying to start drama for their own entertainment.

This is the Internet, where's everybody's wrong. Also, I'm usually That Guy. So I'm going to assume that Ashley really doesn't understand these things. If I'm wrong, then I'll try to be at least gracefully wrong. Instead of ending up on the floor with my foot in my mouth, like most times.....

Hi Ashleyx3 hows it going?

I don’t know of any clones, thankfully. Not a fan of the idea either.

The Lionsteel Roundhead looks to be a great model. If you are able to save up some funds I believe you’d be better served purchasing the real deal.

If you get one, post up some pics. It’s always great to see fellow enthusiasts share their thoughts and experiences on a knife.

Generally speaking, clones fill a market niche of "I want that knife design, but cheaper."

So, that said, I don't understand this specific inquiry. The entire point of the Lionsteel Roundhead is to provide a classic pattern traditional knife, but made with modern materials and high quality construction. Clones, by their very nature, are lacking in those qualities. Given the pattern of clone knives, you are looking for a "D2" and "titanium" (in quotes because the materials actually used often differ from what is claimed) 1:1 physical copy of the knife.

If you are looking to buy a Roundhead but want something with a lower price at the sacrifice of modern materials, you are out of luck. You might look into picking up a Schatt and Morgan, Great Eastern Cutlery, Bulldog, Hen and Rooster, or other brand of knife that is similar enough to the style you are looking for.

Also, the Knife Enthusiast community is predominately anti-clone. It is seen as a form of theft and also damaging to the image and reputation of the brands that are cloned. I'm honestly surprised that someone could be a member with several posts and familiar enough with knives - knowing of Lionsteel, their Roundhead model, and the existence of the clone market - without being conscious of the general attitude towards clones.

If you're looking for something exactly like the Roundhead, your current option is exclusively the Roundhead. I suggest asking where to find online vendors of traditional knives in the traditional knife forum, as the Roundhead and related lines are directly inspired by less-expensive traditional knives that are often made with carbon steels.

I'm tempted to dump the Opening Post of this thread in the DA thread.
I'll refrain, but I am closing the thread and suggesting to the poster that he study the responses to his question before asking anything similar in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back