Question about edge angles

So, I am going to be getting a TSProf in a couple of weeks. I need to really attack my kitchen knives. They have been neglected for far too long. I don't have anything special, just some Chicago Cutlery. The wife says we bought it around 2010-2013 for somewhere around $250 or $300. So probably crap steel. They say German steel made in China. But, it is what I got. I also have a Caphalon Santoku, a Dexter slicing knife (10-12 inch), a Serbian Chef knife, and another knife that is modeled after a Japanese Nakiri though much thicker. These last 2 are 1075, both hand made by Renner Knives on Etsy. I am also planning on using it to sharpen my Kershaw Leek with a Composite blade and D2 cutting edge. This is somewhat of an EDC but more a work knife.

My question, what angle should I be sharpening my knives to? I know this is a very subjective and personal thing, but looking for some good starting points. I am sure the slicer, would probably be the thinnest angle, and the steak knives being the thickest for the kitchen knives, and the Leek being a little thicker yet due to work stuffs.

Thanks for any help guys.

Chicago Cutlery are decent knives. Most of those should get a 16* edge. The thicker cleaver style I would give it a 18-19* edge, maybe 20*.
Good luck, DM

So, I am going to be getting a TSProf in a couple of weeks. I need to really attack my kitchen knives. They have been neglected for far too long. I don't have anything special, just some Chicago Cutlery. The wife says we bought it around 2010-2013 for somewhere around $250 or $300. So probably crap steel. They say German steel made in China. But, it is what I got. I also have a Caphalon Santoku, a Dexter slicing knife (10-12 inch), a Serbian Chef knife, and another knife that is modeled after a Japanese Nakiri though much thicker. These last 2 are 1075, both hand made by Renner Knives on Etsy. I am also planning on using it to sharpen my Kershaw Leek with a Composite blade and D2 cutting edge. This is somewhat of an EDC but more a work knife.

My question, what angle should I be sharpening my knives to? I know this is a very subjective and personal thing, but looking for some good starting points. I am sure the slicer, would probably be the thinnest angle, and the steak knives being the thickest for the kitchen knives, and the Leek being a little thicker yet due to work stuffs.

Thanks for any help guys.
My suggestion, when starting out, (especially if new to sharpening), is to match or come close to what is already on the knife, if possible. That way, the sharpening will go relatively easy, less likely to make mistakes, not a long time, etc. and then from there, you can decide which ones might benefit from different angles. Plus you gain experience with the new sharpener.

Start off at 15 to 16 degree's per-side that's a really good starting point for any chef knife that is mass produced like Chicago Cutlery or Kitchen Aide knives and so on.

I have 2 Tsprof's a K02 and a K03 and I would get the reinforced spring's for all your clamp's they are cheap and you won't get any deflection with them.

The stone's that come with the Tsrof's are bad stone's but there's better that's for sure,what I would if I were you try the stones that come with your Tsprof and see if you like a toothy edge or a polished edge better and then if you find you like an edge that is sharpened to 2 or 3k then you can get better stones in those grit's,also keep in mind cheaper knives like Chicago Cutlery most likely won't cut really well with a super polished edge they are really good knives but I doubt they will cut very well with a polished edge.

If you want a really nice knife that won't break the bank look at the Yaxell Dragon at cutleryandmore they have 2 knives for 199.00 and they come with sheath's as well.

If you do want to get better stones look at getting Chosera's in the higher grit's and Sigma Power are great polisher's as well there's no need to strop after using a 6 or 8K or hogher stone by those guys if all your wanting to do is remove the burr from the edge.

Also keep in mind the Tsprof stones use a different rating system it's called FEPA and a FEPA 2000 grit stone is equivalent to a 8000 grit Japanese water stone,I put a link in this thread and it's a conversion chart for the different format's like FEPA,keep in mind there is FEPA-P and FEPA-F,the FEPA-P don't bother looking at it it's for sand paper.

https://www.fine-tools.com/G10019.html

Back