Question about Folders

GeofS

“Nostra-bladus”
Gold Member
Does anyone know if these two use celluloid?

bScLLEl.jpg

Thanks! :)

I hope you’re right. I was reading about celluloid degradation in knife handles. What a nightmare.

yeah - when it goes, it's a mess and can damage other steel objects stored with it.

If either of them have model numbers on them, then it/they are definitely Delrin, as model numbers on the blades would not have happened until after 1966.

No, they do not have model numbers on them.

With no model numbers, we have narrowed the time frame to 1952ish, when the stamp went to UC/LC Italics, and 1966, the end of the no model number era.

The earliest date that a knife can have Delrin is 1961, when Dupont first made it in commercial quantities. So time to do a celluloid test. One such test is to take one of the knives (closed of course) and briskly rub it between your hands to warm it up. If you can smell camphor coming off it, it is celluloid. Wash your hands between knives to prevent a false signal. Presence or absence of camphor will indicate which time period each is from.

With no model numbers, we have narrowed the time frame to 1952ish, when the stamp went to UC/LC Italics, and 1966, the end of the no model number era.

The earliest date that a knife can have Delrin is 1961, when Dupont first made it in commercial quantities. So time to do a celluloid test. One such test is to take one of the knives (closed of course) and briskly rub it between your hands to warm it up. If you can smell camphor coming off it, it is celluloid. Wash your hands between knives to prevent a false signal. Presence or absence of camphor will indicate which time period each is from.
Thanks for the tip, I’ll try it when I get home. :thumbsup:

Back