Question about old SOG Trident vs. 2.0 Trident

riversidedep

Basic Member
Back in the 1990's I wanted to buy a SOG Trident, but I just couldn't afford the $150 to $200 price tag they had back then. As the Seki made Tridents are rare to see for sale anymore, I was considering finally scratching my Trident itch with one of the new Trident 2.0's. I was wondering if anyone here could give me their opinion as to the difference between the two? Are there any significant spec/size differences? Is the fit and finish on par? Are the materials used as good? I don't know of any knife stores where I can personally examine one of the new ones and decide for myself if I will be happy with it.

The knife is unlikely to be used. I just have always liked the blade shape and want it to fill a spot in my collection. I guess I'm really just looking for opinions on whether I should keep looking for an old Seki-made one or just get a new one. Also, the price isn't that big an issue anymore as I realize the Seki-made ones sell for a premium nowadays.

I have a Seki Trident S2 but I do not have a Taiwan made Trident 2.0. Physically the old Seki
Trident has a 6.25" blade whereas the Trident 2.0 has a 6.4" blade. At a quick glance I find them pretty hard to differentiate but the pommel nut is different between the two. Both have Aus8 blades but the
S2's were made by Hattori of Seki for SOG with Aus8. The 2.0 also uses Aus8 imported from Japan but the knife is manufactured in Taiwan. Reading owner reviews it seems that the majority of people are quite satisfied with the Trident 2.0's finish and quality. A few are not and feel they are not as good as the old ones. The Seki ones, at least the early ones came with a nylon sheath. The 2.0 comes with a black leather
sheath with stone, which some people consider cheaply made.
I find the Trident 2.0 selling for prices between $111 to $146. The Seki Trident S2s when you can find them go for about $240-340 depending on condition and if an auction, buyer competition. But as they aren't very common you really have to work at getting one. These are prices I've seen over the last half year. Still it can be done. Sometimes even if they aren't perfectly clean you can clean them up nicely as the Aus8 blade won't have severe corrosion or pitting like SK5 knives may. If it were me, I would wait to find a Seki one if it's for a collection. If I wanted one to use I'd pick up the 2.0.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I was kind of leaning toward getting an old one even though I'm probably looking at almost twice the cost. It's just that I think I've only seen like three of them for sale over the last few years I've been looking for one.

I also didn't know that any version of the 2.0 was made in Seki and there was such a difference in blade lengths. I thought they were all made in Taiwan. Thanks in particular for that info.

I think there has been a misunderstanding here.
No Trident 2.0 has been ever made in Seki as far as I am aware. Only the Trident S2. In 2005-2006 all SOG fixed blades shifted production from Seki Japan to Taiwan. I think the Seal Pup might be the only model where there were two different productions runs (Japan and Taiwan) coexisting for a very brief time during the transition period.

My mistake. I misread what you wrote.

I own three SOG knives which I purchased in the very early 1990s: A Sogwinder II, a Sogwinder with an all-stainless handle (I seem to recall that this was marketed as a "gentleman's Sogwinder".....it's smaller and thinner than my Sogwinder II), and a Pentagon. Both the folders got carried and used for a couple of years. All three are of exceptional quality and I really regret not picking up a Trident during that time period......and a Government....and a Tomcat.....and the rest of the large knives......

Nice knives. The Pentagon has changed shape in it's Taiwan made version.
And my view is that the classic folders should be put away as collectibles, not
just because they are vintage, but because the newer Seki made SOG folders
with arc-lock are so much better than to use than the old ones. This is similar to
the current Triad Lock Cold Steel folders being infinitely better than the old models
I have from the 1980s where you can't even adjust the pivot pin.

I've got a Seki made Trident S2 that I bought new back in the 90's that I'd be willing to part with for the right price. It has been knocking around in my sock drawer for the last 20+ years and has never actually been used. PM me if you're interested.

No Trident 2.0 has been ever made in Seki as far as I am aware. Only the Trident S2. In 2005-2006 all SOG fixed blades shifted production from Seki Japan to Taiwan. I think the Seal Pup might be the only model where there were two different productions runs (Japan and Taiwan) coexisting for a very brief time during the transition period.
I hope I don't sound rude if this post is even still stop to read LOL. But the SEKI made TRIDENT isn't a 2.0 it's the S2 being a second model made of course. The new Taiwan made TRIDENTS we're dubbed the 2.0 simply because they brought it back the popularity and all. And of course it's made in Taiwan. I definitely have to agree if it's for a collection all day long Japan made! Very few models are made currently from Taiwan that I have much interest in. I tell you I got my collection stolen couple of years ago S1 bowies, Tigersharks& Midnight, crazy stuff. All gone. Rebuilding now is very tough.

I've got a Seki made Trident S2 that I bought new back in the 90's that I'd be willing to part with for the right price. It has been knocking around in my sock drawer for the last 20+ years and has never actually been used. PM me if you're interested.
If I'm not replying to a seven-year-old post LOL, I'm interested! I have no idea how we connect if this post thread exists and the Trident is still available. Other than to leave an email that I opened up. Rebuilding a collection I'm very interested. Might have one very soon mint with original nylon sheath. How much for yours?
jagravity1@gmail.com

My mistake. I misread what you wrote.

I own three SOG knives which I purchased in the very early 1990s: A Sogwinder II, a Sogwinder with an all-stainless handle (I seem to recall that this was marketed as a "gentleman's Sogwinder".....it's smaller and thinner than my Sogwinder II), and a Pentagon. Both the folders got carried and used for a couple of years. All three are of exceptional quality and I really regret not picking up a Trident during that time period......and a Government....and a Tomcat.....and the rest of the large knives......
That SogWinder all metal handle?? That's actually the Gentlens folder. I forgot the model# but the SogWinder SogWinder 2 & Gentlemen's Folder all pretty much identical blades.

I hope I don't sound rude if this post is even still stop to read LOL. But the SEKI made TRIDENT isn't a 2.0 it's the S2 being a second model made of course. The new Taiwan made TRIDENTS we're dubbed the 2.0 simply because they brought it back the popularity and all. And of course it's made in Taiwan. I definitely have to agree if it's for a collection all day long Japan made! Very few models are made currently from Taiwan that I have much interest in. I tell you I got my collection stolen couple of years ago S1 bowies, Tigersharks& Midnight, crazy stuff. All gone. Rebuilding now is very tough.

You're not being rude at all friend. However, unless you intended to quote the original post, it looks like you did not read what I wrote because you are only repeating what I said:

KenHash said:
No Trident 2.0 has been ever made in Seki as far as I am aware. Only the Trident S2.

I know this is a very old thread but I just wanted to chime in since I recently purchased both the Trident 2.0 made in Taiwan and the Trident S2 made in Japan. I must say the fit and finish is very close between the two knives. They are both beautiful to look at. The main difference I noticed is the S2 has a bigger handle and fits my hand much better. Also, the finger grooves are not as deep and the handle is more rounded which also makes gripping the knife more enjoyable. The smaller handle on the 2.0 and weird finger grooves along with it being Micarta makes the knife feel like it is going to slip out of my hand. Just my two cents.

I am a Sog Nut and own many. I am reading over this thread and am thinking that the OP was asking about the Tomcat versus the newer Tomcat 2.0 and made the mistake about / confusion about the Trident. If I am correct, and in my opinion the Tomcat 2.0 Seki made is a good replacement for the original Tomcat. Needless to say that the Seki made Trident S2 is also an awesome blade.

Just as an FYI, Hattori did a recent run, now sold out, of their TV-1, (S1 SK-5) and the TV-3, (S2 with Aus8) .
For reference the sale price was $565 for each.

Back