Question about origins of Robeson jack

I've lurked for quite a while but this is my first post. (Sorry it's probably a dumb question! I did look through all the Robeson threads I could research before aaking.) I'm trying to determine if this Robeson (link below) genuinely dates to its tang stamp, 1911-1921, or if it's a recent reintro by Queen. None of the Queens from what I could tell included the Rochester stamp and they all appeared to have their mfg date stamped verso on the main blade (1994, 2003, etc.). Even so, my gut tells me, based on it's condition, and it's condition compared to other knives of that era, that it's not the real McCoy. Can anyone lend guidance/verify?

Any help will be much appreciated. I love the look of the knife, but for sentimental/family reasons, am only interested if it's older.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Robeson-Sh...m=202676402457&_trksid=p2509164.c100904.m5276

I think it would be highly unusual for a 100 year old knife to look like that

Looks like the Queen made ones sold on another popular pocket knife forum

same blade stamps, same condititon

My Robeson Suredge Pocketeze pen knife from the 1911 - 1921 period has no letter in the model number.

I suspect the "Q" in the model number on that one indicates a more recent Queen made.

All of the original Pocketeze had sunk joints, which this one does not have. The tang stamp does not look right. Does not look like old Robeson bone. My opinion is that it is definitely not an original Robeson.

I collected Queen and Robeson knives for years....remember Servotronics ( parent company of Queen and Ontario ) /Queen purchased Robeson ......and this would be a Queen made knife after 1975.

Last edited:
I collected Queen and Robeson knives for years....remember Servotronics ( parent company of Queen and Ontario ) /Queen purchased Robeson ......and this would be a Queen made knife after 1975.

I was under the impression that the company had changed hands before that, in 1965, so '64 was sort of the cut off for "original" product?

The vendor doesn't suggest this is from 1911-21 era though.

Read the knife. First of all I wouldn't really call that Peachseed jig, its colour is bright and modern looking, the jigging does not go into the bolsters, the metalwork(pins, blades, springs,liners) are all very clean and bright, century old knives don't look that way. The blades have an orange-peel look in places not crocus or as ground, this usually denotes D2 or stainless which a knife of that era would not have. The joints are not sunk and take a look at that box it comes in, modern looking and very clean indeed.

Thanks, Will. I was basing my original question off the tang stamp, which I shouldn't have.

The vendor doesn't suggest this is from 1911-21 era though.

Read the knife. First of all I wouldn't really call that Peachseed jig, its colour is bright and modern looking, the jigging does not go into the bolsters, the metalwork(pins, blades, springs,liners) are all very clean and bright, century old knives don't look that way. The blades have an orange-peel look in places not crocus or as ground, this usually denotes D2 or stainless which a knife of that era would not have. The joints are not sunk and take a look at that box it comes in, modern looking and very clean indeed.

OP, not at all, I understand your enthusiasm. It's always good to ask it's the cornerstone of knowledge and understanding :thumbsup:

Regards, Will

Boggs - how does the quality compare between the pre-65 and post-75 Robesons? Was this a high end project for Queen?

Back