• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Question about sales dispute with a member

fishface5

Gold Member
I've been on BFC for 20 years but this is a first for me:

My understanding is that the selling forum member is responsible to get the package to the buying forum membrr. But we are having a dispute, so I'm seeking guidance from fellow forumites.

I used PayPal g&s. Seller mailed item in a usps priority box. One side of the box was not taped. I opened the box from that side and nothing was in it except an empty envelope. (The sides if not taped can be opened and reclosed at will)

Seller says it's my responsibility to pursue a claim through usps. I want a refund and he can deal with usps, due to improper packaging. Taken as given that he shipped it and I didn't get it, what is the right course of action?

Last edited:
I recently filed a PayPal dispute for someone in the Exchange as well, ended up escalating it to a claim. It's pretty easy. I'd let PayPal decide what to do. You didn't get what you paid for, so PayPal will cover you at least.

Sounds like it was lost before it go to you. In that case, it is the sellers responsibility to get the knife to the buyer. If it is lost in transit (apposed to being stolen off the door step or something), the seller must refund the buyer and pursue a resolution with their shipping partner. If the seller is not going to follow through with the above, get paypal involved. Save all packaging.

It is ALWAYS the seller's responsibility to get a package to a buyer unless the two parties work something out in advance wherein the buyer accepts responsibility at some point (e.g. buyer does not want to sign for it as he won't be home and accepts responsibility for shipper leaving it on his front patio and it is then stolen). As such, the onus is on the seller to refund you and figure out WTF happened.

Would it be worth including a note in the Exchange rules specific to USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Small boxes, which in my five years of buying and selling knives seem to be the most common shipping option used here, about taping the ends completely shut?

The little flaps on the ends, which if unsecured make it so simple to open the box cleanly and without removing any tape, are a known issue and a common problem. If I receive a Flat Rate Small box without the end flaps taped shut, I cross my fingers before opening it.

I'm not saying it's BF's responsibility in any way. It just seems like a line item in the Exchange rules for this specific issue might be handy.

fishface5 fishface5
Sellers responsibility to file a claim, not the buyer.
File a PayPal dispute as others have suggested.

^^This has been a clear rule for many years.

The member from whom the knife was purchased knows this rule and is transgressing it to save himself the hassle of the claim.
This is very wrong.

With the mods permission I feel that it is important to name the seller, because I for one would like to know who not to deal with in the future.

^^This has been a clear rule for many years.

The member from whom the knife was purchased knows this rule and is transgressing it to save himself the hassle of the claim.
This is very wrong.

With the mods permission I feel that it is important to name the seller, because I for one would like to know who not to deal with in the future.

I agree it's important to know who is handling the situation in this manner. I would tag the member and maybe he or she can present they're side

Take a few pictures of the box and send to the seller. Advise them of this thread. If they decide not to do the right thing, then I would file with PP and name them here.

This would come under theft, most likely in the USPS system . If seller bought insurance he(or she) should file a claim with USPS. It is very unlikely they will pay on the claim, since the package was delivered.
If the seller doesn't offer to refund , you should file a claim with PP-show appropriate photo's and be precise about what took place. Even though IMO you should be awarded a refund, it might go either way, since theoretically you could have removed the contents. On the other hand the seller may never have put anything in. As I said most likely is USPS.
This is an area where some members have a problem. Very few are outright thieves, but for some loss of money blurs their vission of right and wrong. Seller should pay. A bit of a hard pill to swallow, but the right thing to do.
Good luck
Tape the heck out of the boxes. Taping the ends of small flat rate boxes is a must-they will open if crushed. When possible I tape the knife(in baggie) to the box. and always fill the box with packing matterial

Last edited:
Back