question about unusual observation while moving clip on PM2

Hi everyone, I bought a new paramilitary 2 last week from a dealer near me. I wanted to change the pocket clip to a different location and the below is what I observed. Is this normal? I didn't think this would happen but perhaps it is normal.
I wanted to change the clip to make it 'tip up' carry. I have the correct t6 driver for the screws. The screws came out of their original location easily but they would not thread into the holes in the new location easily. I did not force the screws. I took a magnifier (so I could see what I was doing) and added oil to each screw and gently worked them into their 'tip up' locations. I tightened them partially and backed them out, cleaned them, applied more oil, and gently tightened the screws all the way in. I then backed the screws out. There was a small amount of metal shavings that came out on the screws during this process. I cleaned off the screws and reapplied oil and then reattached the clip without issue. I'm not sure where the metal shavings came from but I suspect there was slight galling of the metal. The threads in the liners look fine but its tough to tell.

Is the blade centered? Maybe the scales and liners got misaligned to where the screw holes didn't line up. Maybe loosen the body screws and bend the knife to get the scales and liners to line up correctly.

Thanks for the thoughts. The knife is otherwise perfect. The scales and liners are aligned and the blade is perfectly centered. The action is very smooth and the blade locks open with absolutely no play. The blade shaves the hair off my arm. Other than this strange issue with the screws it is a superb knife.

When you looked with a magnifying glass could you see threads? The tip up screw holes may not have been throughly tapped? By threading in the screws you finished the job? Just a guess.

Mike

When you looked with a magnifying glass could you see threads? The tip up screw holes may not have been throughly tapped? By threading in the screws you finished the job? Just a guess.

Mike

That may be it. There are threads in all the other clip holes but perhaps they aren't tapped 'enough' and perhaps I did 'finish the job' by putting the screws in the way I did. That's the only thing i can think of (as you did also).
I have e-mailed Spyderco to ask about this and also get new screws. I lost a bit of thread off of the bottom of the screws in the process.

The liner threads that I put the screws in for tip up carry do not appear damaged and the clip is on there nice and snug. So I think everything is fine. I was just surprised this happened and wanted to ask. If I would have been more aggressive and cranked the screws into the holes without the above process I may have stripped out the screws or even worst the liner.

Holes probably had burrs in them. Probably a tap at the end of its life. Usually when I tap holes at work (by hand, and I've broken a few 1/4-20 taps!) I will go all the way to the end of the tap, back it out, clean it off and run it through again. Gets all the crap and burrs out and prevents having a screw or bolt gall or jam.

Don't know the size for the clip screws though, sorry! Good you got it taken care of though!

Back