Question about Villager

Hello, I apologize if this has already been answered in any of the basic information links, But I may be blind and just can't see the answer.

What is the difference between the villager and normal kukri from Himalayan imports?

I understand the normal ones have a more polished look, but what about in terms of quality and performance?

I would love to get a bilton for my first one, But have no clue if they come in villager or normal.

Any advice would be wonderful.
Thank you guys for your time!

If the fit and finish is referred to as villager that means that the blade will have a satin finish instead of a high polish. Any HI knife can have a villager fit and finish.

But there is also a specific model called the villager model or villager utility knife. The villager utility knife is usually about 15” and usually weigh 18-24ounces and have black forging scale on the blade and do not come with a sheath. These are more of the style of khukuris that they use in the villages in Nepal.

I love villagers. I prefer all my khuks with the villager finish. I also highly recommend getting a VUK (villager utility knife). They are my go-to for yard work.

The quality is the same. A villager just didn’t get as much time spent on making it pretty. I beat the heck out of my villies and they can take the abuse.

Biltons come in both. Biltons are awesome. I prefer the Bilton even over the much loved mini bowie. My bilton is my favorite knife in the garden.

You might consider getting a VUK and a Bilton so you can save a bit on shipping because I can pretty much guarantee after you hold that little Bilton in your hand you will want to order another khuk.

Last edited:
^^^^What he said exactly with the exception of the Bilton over Mini Bowie, I wouldn't trade my little bowie for a Bilton (although I love the Bilton too) but that of course is just my own opinion, not worth the gigabytes it took to write this.

^^^^What he said exactly with the exception of the Bilton over Mini Bowie, I wouldn't trade my little bowie for a Bilton (although I love the Bilton too) but that of course is just my own opinion, not worth the gigabytes it took to write this.
Thanks again for my Bilton Bawanna. I love that thing. Not sure if you recall but you gifted it to me a couple years ago. I liked my mini bowie too but my brother liked it more so he has it now. I should get another one and give it another try.

Didn't recall that, but glad you like it. I'll write this down so I have a list of something good I did. So far I got 1.

Maybe I'll work on a MMB, might make it two good things.

Didn't recall that, but glad you like it. I'll write this down so I have a list of something good I did. So far I got 1.

Maybe I'll work on a MMB, might make it two good things.
Forgetting about a good deed you did is perhaps more noble than the good deed itself in my book. Joe, can you send me an email so I have your new email address? The only one I have is your old work email.

sorry for hijacking your post ringsooth

Last edited:
If the fit and finish is referred to as villager that means that the blade will have a satin finish instead of a high polish. Any HI knife can have a villager fit and finish.

But there is also a specific model called the villager model or villager utility knife. The villager utility knife is usually about 15” and usually weigh 18-24ounces and have black forging scale on the blade and do not come with a sheath. These are more of the style of khukuris that they use in the villages in Nepal.

I love villagers. I prefer all my khuks with the villager finish. I also highly recommend getting a VUK (villager utility knife). They are my go-to for yard work.

The quality is the same. A villager just didn’t get as much time spent on making it pretty. I beat the heck out of my villies and they can take the abuse.

Biltons come in both. Biltons are awesome. I prefer the Bilton even over the much loved mini bowie. My bilton is my favorite knife in the garden.

You might consider getting a VUK and a Bilton so you can save a bit on shipping because I can pretty much guarantee after you hold that little Bilton in your hand you will want to order another khuk.

Gotcha. Thank you very much for taking the time to explain that to me.

Both of you guys rock.

So, I am looking at the HI webstore, and do not see any villager options. Where do you look to see those utility models you mentioned?

So, I am looking at the HI webstore, and do not see any villager options. Where do you look to see those utility models you mentioned?
The owner Yandgu runs the whole operation here in the states. You can email her with questions or to see if she has VUKs in stock or what else she may have. Her email is himimp@aol.com. She will tell you the price and shipping cost. Yangdu is the best.

If you are looking to order custom from the online store you are probably looking at a 3 month wait.

You are right. They do not come with sheaths. They usually come with a little cardboard and tape “sheath” for safety during shipping. I usually wrap that in duct tape or something until I make a sheath. Some people make them out of kydex or wood. I have made out of PVC pipe. And of course out of leather. I know a guy that keeps one wrapped up in a towel in his vehicle. The sky is the limit. If you search the forum you will find a bunch of info on khuk sheath making.

You are right. They do not come with sheaths. They usually come with a little cardboard and tape “sheath” for safety during shipping. I usually wrap that in duct tape or something until I make a sheath. Some people make them out of kydex or wood. I have made out of PVC pipe. And of course out of leather. I know a guy that keeps one wrapped up in a towel in his vehicle. The sky is the limit. If you search the forum you will find a bunch of info on khuk sheath making.
Cool. Thank you

Other than the actual Villager Utility Knife, most others knives with a Villager finish do come with a sheath. As Eric so eloquently mentioned, the VUK is more what the locals in Nepal actually carry and use and most have no sheath at all. No OSHA over there and low safety standards but they got lots of common sense so they don't get hurt often.

Agreed also Yangdu is the absolute best. She runs HI like all business's should be run and she will stop at nothing to make sure every customer is pleased 100 percent.
I'm blessed to have actually visited her a few times and nobody nicer or kinder and that goes for the whole family. Email her and she'll get you squared away proper.

I just now saw the offerings for today and some good ones. Once again Eric nailed it on the VUK. It looks like a real solid VUK. Handle looks good and strong with good grain. And as usual at a gift price, you can't go wrong.
Excellent. Thank you so much for the advice

Villagers usually have an unpolished black 'as forged' finish which is really cool and 'tactical'. the sharpened bevel is of course sharpened white.
😜

Back