Question and Answer Thread

Chris,
I have another question for you if you don't mind do
You have any plans for a larger camp/chopper style
Knife say in the 7 to 10 inch blade length and either
1/4th or 3/16th of a inch think if so could you please
Give us some details about it such as what steel would
Be considered for it,would it be a spear point,clip point, wharncliffe,also a estimated price point ? Thanks again

Frank

Chris,
You have said you like to use steel's loaded with vanadium so my question is have you made a knife
In CPM REX 121 ? if not do you have any plans on
Using it in the future? Also what are your thoughts
On this particular steel ? Thanks for your time and answering our questions

Frank

I have not used REX 121 and really do not have any plans to.
From what I have read about the steel it does get very hard, but sacrifices edge stability.
The other downside to it is that I have only seen it available in rather thick plate, and that is not really what I'm in to.

Chris,
I have another question for you if you don't mind do
You have any plans for a larger camp/chopper style
Knife say in the 7 to 10 inch blade length and either
1/4th or 3/16th of a inch think if so could you please
Give us some details about it such as what steel would
Be considered for it,would it be a spear point,clip point, wharncliffe,also a estimated price point ? Thanks again

Frank

I actually do have plans to make some heavier duty camp knives.
I recently sawed out 4 from some .270" thick PD1.
The profile mimics my Bladesports Competition Chopper I recently finished.
The geometry will also be rather close to that of my chopper.
My other though for the knives is that they will be sized appropriately for competition.
Based off the work I just put into grinding and finishing my chopper these PD1 choppers will be $650 plus.
I also plan to do a few in clip point and Bowie styles as well.

Thanks for your questions.
Let me know if I am answering them adequately.

Chris,I have used 01for awhile, I have liked it's ability to sharpen and take a good sharp edge, but I have heard that it is not abrasion resistant, so what does that really mean? It will hold a good edge, so does that mean it will roll instead of chip? Just curious, since I have some early work of yours in 01. I have a hunter in 01 in 1/16, I seem to reach for it first for a utility knife.

O1 is not a wear resistant steel.
It is a good general use tool steel.
O1 does not have the composition to be highly wear resistant like 4V, M4, or 10V.
The edge will still chip if too hard or roll if pushed past its limits.
The lack of abrasion resistance is what makes it easy to touch up in the field with less than optimal equipment.
If you cut a lot of abrasive material like cardboard, the edge will last a fraction of the time of a knife in 10V.

I also want to know your experiences with 3v, I have one of your test knives in it with a tapered tangs. I am not experienced enough to determine too much differences in blade steels, it can be said that any steel is fine if it meets one's needs and their are happy, but I am curious for how 3v would do compared to cpm 154, D2, or 52100. I know the 154 is stainless and the other two are carbon steels.

I also want to know your experiences with 3v, I have one of your test knives in it with a tapered tangs. I am not experienced enough to determine too much differences in blade steels, it can be said that any steel is fine if it meets one's needs and their are happy, but I am curious for how 3v would do compared to cpm 154, D2, or 52100. I know the 154 is stainless and the other two are carbon steels.

3V is better than all those in my opinion.
The composition with the addition of vanadium gives 3V much better edge holding.
Although it is not a pure stainless steel, with the low temper option it is not far off.
I still like 3V and feel that it does have a place, I am now playing with some of it's brothers and cousins.

Any plans for making full tang scrappers anytime soon?

Yes, I do have plans to make more Scrappers.
I know that I have a couple in 52100 profiled out and one or two in W2 as well.
Nothing in any other steels at this time, but it is a pattern that I enjoy making.

Reactions: rpn
Thanks for the info, hope to see those Scrappers too. Have a great weekend.

Yes, I do have plans to make more Scrappers.
I know that I have a couple in 52100 profiled out and one or two in W2 as well.
Nothing in any other steels at this time, but it is a pattern that I enjoy making.

Woohoo! Like the sounds of 52100 with these. :thumbsup:

Woohoo! Like the sounds of 52100 with these. :thumbsup:

I have been quite pleased with the performance of the 52100 knives I have kept to use.
Has very nice edge holding and I also like the cutting performance that it possesses.

BIG CHRIS NEED PICKS OF THE BATCH OF KNIFES YOU JUST GLUED UP LETS SEE SOME PICS THANKS DON :)

Hey Chris! I saw your run on KoD, awesome man! If you could go back and do it all over again, would you still use the same blade? If not, what would you use?

Thanks so much.
As much as I love the knife I used and as supremely well as it performed I would not choose the same knife for a second go around.
Sadly, the 10" minimum blade length they gave us as a standard was considerably too short.
I have a couple different ideas as to what I would use if given another opportunity.
I am working on a couple prototypes, and one of them I have already noticed some shortcomings even before it has been heat treated and tested.

Obviously being the first group to go at this we were the guinea pigs.
The producers and contestants both have better ideas as to what it will take for success.

BIG CHRIS NEED PICKS OF THE BATCH OF KNIFES YOU JUST GLUED UP LETS SEE SOME PICS THANKS DON :)

None of them are finished yet.
I also need to find a new photo host so I can easily share pictures with you guys.

Back