QUESTION: Cold Steel serrations VS Spyderco serrations

The lock is an integral part of the functionality of any locking folder .
But not the question of the op. Cold steel serrations are inferior to spyderco for actual use. One time sd use is different.

But not the question of the op. Cold steel serrations are inferior to spyderco for actual use. One time sd use is different.
Ironically the only SE knife I know of with a warranty voided for non-SD use is the Spyderco Civilian . I believe the Civilian SE is ground more acutely than their normal and the hook tip looks kinda fragile too . I know people do use their CS SE's for their regular chore knives with no special complaints . I just think they are a PITA to sharpen and I like my SD knives to be factory sharp . Also , the CS Black Talon 2 is the much superior alternative to the Civilian . Stronger lock , better steel , and stronger thicker hook and far less expensive . And no special warranty restrictions on normal utility usage . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ironically the only SE knife I know of with a warranty voided for non-SD use is the Spyderco Civilian . I believe the Civilian SE is ground more acutely than their normal and the hook tip looks kinda fragile too . I know people do use their CS SE's for their regular chore knives with no special complaints . I just think they are a PITA to sharpen and I like my SD knives to be factory sharp . Also , the CS Black Talon 2 is the much superior alternative to the Civilian . Stronger lock , better steel , and stronger thicker hook and far less expensive . And no special warranty restrictions on normal utility usage . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
With the civilian a stronger lock is irrelevant. Which side of the blade are you considering using? I'd use the sharp side if need be.

Respectable members here report cold steel serrations fail in edc use. Spydercos don't. That is the point of this thread. If your concern is an edc that can be pressed into edc, the choice is clear.

The knife you mentioned is far more expensive than a Pacific salt. I'd go spyderco all day. Then again, I do carry and use it for more than just sd.

Spyderco serrations > Cold Steel. Posters above me already did a good enough job explaining why.

With the civilian a stronger lock is irrelevant. Which side of the blade are you considering using? I'd use the sharp side if need be.

Respectable members here report cold steel serrations fail in edc use. Spydercos don't. That is the point of this thread. If your concern is an edc that can be pressed into edc, the choice is clear.

The knife you mentioned is far more expensive than a Pacific salt. I'd go spyderco all day. Then again, I do carry and use it for more than just sd.
In a fighting knife , lock strength is ALWAYS relevant in my view (but "why" is beyond the scope of this thread and better for Prac-Tac forum) . YMMV . :)

In a fighting knife , lock strength is ALWAYS relevant in my view (but "why" is beyond the scope of this thread and better for Prac-Tac forum) . YMMV . :)
So post that topic there. This is the topic here. Spyderco serrations are better. The other things you mention are not the topic.

So post that topic there. This is the topic here. Spyderco serrations are better. The other things you mention are not the topic.
Only better in specific ways , NOT in every way . Not everyone needs the same type of performance .

The factory fresh or equivalently sharp CS SE provide superior cutting with less force applied and less tendency to grab or catch . Just harder to sharpen back to that same standard (because of the finer small teeth ).

It would be nice to see some actual testing proof of the durability of the CS SE in CTS-XHP vs Spyderco SE . Most peoples practical experience with CS SE is from the old AUS8 , much less tough ! :)

Cold Steal’s serrations remind me of those found on a cheap steak knife. You need that special croc stick to sharpen them at home.

Good luck with that because that means you are working with one grit.

That was always my impression. Serrations made for people who can't and/or never will sharpen them.

Spyderco does serrations the best. I've never tried Veff though.

I use both a lot and Spyderco serrated are way easier to maintain but CS serrated will cut rope faster and easier.

A lot of my work is on roofs so I use 1” sisal rope and a well wheel very often so even though this is only my experience it is experience not fanciful guessing.

The Lansky CS stick does work well and the Lansky round stick works great on the large part of the Spyderco’s, on the narrow parts I use Sharpmaker rods.

The Veff serrations seam nice but I on have one knife with them and it is lacking in too many departments for me to use at work.

Only better in specific ways , NOT in every way . Not everyone needs the same type of performance .

The factory fresh or equivalently sharp CS SE provide superior cutting with less force applied and less tendency to grab or catch . Just harder to sharpen back to that same standard (because of the finer small teeth ).

It would be nice to see some actual testing proof of the durability of the CS SE in CTS-XHP vs Spyderco SE . Most peoples practical experience with CS SE is from the old AUS8 , much less tough ! :)
They are better in a more general way. Ie, for most uses rather than specific uses.

I just bought the ACCSHARP Diamond rod sharpener, it has both a round and straight tapered sharpener rod.
It is a really great tool.

Last edited:
I like Cold Steel Knives but prefer the serrations of Spyderco ... easier to sharpen.

OK, it is fully understood now. Spyderco serrations, for MY use (EDC) are a better choice. I will have to stick to Cold Steel plain edges then!

Thanks a lot to you all.

Back