Question for DF Wasp owners : From notice to request..

Tenbeers

Gold Member
The DF Wasp is the only drop forged model that I've yet to buy.
I'd originally planned to get it when it was first released but I've hesitated, thinking I'd like to see some buyer feedback.

I'd like some input from actual owners about:
1.The factory edge and overall grind quality.
2.Any issues with the sheath dulling the edges.

I'd appreciate any info provided.

I can now answer the questions I posed.
I received the DF Wasp today.
Overall grind is very clean.
No problem with the sheath dulling the edge because there is not one to be dulled.
This knife is blunt. Beyond dull. It seems like the basic edge was ground but not sharpened at all.
The point is very sharp but the edge won't cut anything. I realise that the knife was designed for stabbing penetration but it shouldn't be totally dull otherwise.
Yes it can be sharpened but not without lots of work.
I have another one on order so I'm hoping this one is an anomaly.

To be continued...

I can now answer the questions I posed.
I received the DF Wasp today.
Overall grind is very clean.
No problem with the sheath dulling the edge because there is not one to be dulled.
This knife is blunt. Beyond dull. It seems like the basic edge was ground but not sharpened at all.
The point is very sharp but the edge won't cut anything. I realise that the knife was designed for stabbing penetration but it shouldn't be totally dull otherwise.
Yes it can be sharpened but not without lots of work.
I have another one on order so I'm hoping this one is an anomaly.

To be continued...

That is odd...got a DF Boot Knife and it is one of the sharpest knives I've ever gotten out of the box. But I also got an Air Lite folder that was pretty dull.

This is an odd one for me also.
I own all of the DF models and this is a first.
Most of them have been scary sharp. The new version of the Survivalist wasn't quite as sharp as the others but it would shave hair after a little stropping on leather.
I was hoping the Wasp would have a decent factory edge because I've had trouble getting a satisfactory edge on daggers with similar grinds.
Other than the edge I'm very pleased with the knife. I'd come close to buying the Roton Talon several times over the years but never pulled the trigger. The Wasp should fill that niche nicely.

I hope the one I have on the way redeems this one some.

Not much slicing going on but Lynn Thompson does manage to cut a flying apple in half towards the end of the video!

You could aim for the fences with this one.
It would bat the hell out of an apple but it's not doing any slicing!;)

I should have the other one by Monday or Tuesday.
I'll post about it after I inspect it.

The 2nd Wasp came today.
It's not razor sharp but it does have a little pull at the edge.
It is definitely not blunt like the other one!
I also received the updated DF Push Dagger. What can I say, I needed a gray one to go with my original version.
The edge on the push dagger is scary sharp!

The dealer I purchased from has graciously offered a refund or replacement.
I haven't decided to go that route yet. Feels odd returning a knife because of the edge.
If it was any other blade grind I'd just sharpen it and solve the issue but as I previously mentioned I've always had trouble getting a satisfactory level of sharpness with this type.

I'd welcome any tips or advice on sharpening a steep edge angle like this.
A more flat angle like the DF Push Dagger or Boot Knife doesn't present any problems for me but I can't seem to accomplish it on this type. I think it's a mental issue.:)

So give an old fart some tips! Is it time to get a Work Sharp?
Thanks in advance!

" Feels odd returning a knife because of the edge".
Could be me but seems like a perfect reason to send it back, it might keep someone else from getting one like it, Cold Steel will be aware of it that way. Plus if you screw it up trying to sharpen it there goes the warranty.

I don't think it's that cut and dry.
I would sincerely like to be able to solve this issue myself.
There is not one single knife company's product that hasn't had this issue at one time or the other in my personal experience.
That's not in defense of Cold Steel it's just a fact, although I've encountered this issue less with them than some others.
I'd rather look at this as a personal self-teachable situation. I'm not going on a stabbing spree anytime soon but as I approach my 60th year of life and at least my 54th year of being a knife nut it would be nice to solve this personal "riddle of steel".
YMMV

I don't think it's that cut and dry.
I would sincerely like to be able to solve this issue myself.
There is not one single knife company's product that hasn't had this issue at one time or the other in my personal experience.
That's not in defense of Cold Steel it's just a fact, although I've encountered this issue less with them than some others.
I'd rather look at this as a personal self-teachable situation. I'm not going on a stabbing spree anytime soon but as I approach my 60th year of life and at least my 54th year of being a knife nut it would be nice to solve this personal "riddle of steel".
YMMV
The light came on for me, understand now where you are coming from. Have fun and post some before and after pix.

Back